.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Backwards

The NYTimes has an article on how hybrids may soon be "enhanced" with artificial sounds so that pedestrians can hear them coming.

Because our current vehicles make noise, people are trained to that. So, instead of people getting used to quiet cars, we're going to noisy the quiet ones up.

I think it ends with us being stuck listening to a cacophony of people's ringtones constantly on as the blare of traffic.

1 Comments:

  • I agree with your comment about this making more noise, but I have been jarred by the silence of a vehicle that is coming toward me or passing at a corner where I'm standing. It is easy to be lulled into thinking you are not near a moving car when you can't hear it. I don't think we realize how much we use hearing to "see" what is around us.

    By Anonymous Marciale, at 6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home