.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Friday, October 06, 2006

Political bits

A new book from a former Bush aide. "The book essentially says President Bush's "compassionate conservativism" and "faith-based initaitives" were more campaign rhetoric than anything else." (The publicity tour will be the two weeks before the election!)

(CNN) The Foley investigation begins by subpoenaing Pelosi, Dean, and Emanuel.

(USAToday) "Democrats are within striking distance of winning control of the Senate in the Nov. 7 elections, USA TODAY/Gallup Polls in six key states show as the campaigns head into their final month." (Notice Burns/Tester not listed.)

(LATimes) Mark Foley was contacted about a photo from the Republican Convention 2000 of a young intern sitting on his lap.
The intern, "male or female?" he inquired.
"Female" was the reply.
"Oh, thank God," Foley responded. "Send me that photo, I might need it someday."

Oh, and Katherine Harris isn't only losing her Senate race, her old house seat looks likely to flip as well.

And, Tammy Duckworth rocks. (+5 in Zogby.)

4 Comments:

  • Regarding the book, I remember one Bush aide describing their first 8 months in office as one large "homage to Bill Clinton." Photo-ops, micro-initiatives etc.

    Karl Rove was then, as always, a brilliant strategist. His signature move: take whatever is your weakness and claim it as a strength (compassionate conservative) while running straight at your opponents supposed strengths (Kerry, war service and Swift Boat Veterens).

    For my money, I'd say the House is much more likely.

    d
    le-enfant-terrible.blogspot.com

    By Blogger mephi, at 2:14 PM  

  • It's not really appropriate for me to enjoy the discomfort and upset of others.

    But.

    I am enjoying some of this.

    By Blogger QuakerDave, at 2:32 PM  

  • It's really infuriating that the "Dems are behind the Foley scandal" trope is beginning to gain wide and uncritical currency in the media. Andrea Koppel and others have been repeating that bullshit all day on CNN, giving play to wingnut fantasies that Rahm and Pelosi are behind all this, and very rarely do I hear the reporter say "But Republicans have offered no evidence to prove their charges and when asked to provide evidence, they say they don't have any."

    Jesus, CNN drives me up a fucking wall. I have to pass the Time Warner Center/CNN Headquarters later tonight on the way to my doctor and I'm gonna have a helluva time supressing the urge to break the plate glass windows in the building by throwing rocks.

    Of course, if I do wind up throwing rocks through the windows and getting arrested, I can always say Rahm and Pelosi made me do it and I'm sure the idiots at CNN will believe me.

    By Blogger Reality-Based Educator, at 2:40 PM  

  • d, I'm not at all sold on the Dems taking the Senate. I really would put it or below 50%. If Menendez loses, or something else breaks wrong (Can an african American win a statewide race in Tenn?) it won't even be at issue.

    I think your point on Karl Rove is great. Everyone always talks about him attacking opponent's strength, but I've never heard anyone reverse it. That's a great observation.

    .
    Dave, I'm sorry. I truly respect what you believe in. I wish I held such a wonderful belief set, but I gotta say. Wickedness feels good at the time.

    .
    Reality, I really think you've just gotta stop watching CNN. From the sound of your comments the last few days, I suspect that experience may actually be shortening your lifespan.

    But you're right. The Repubs know how to feed the media machine, they understand the monster. They know how to get the reporters talking about what they want. (I also think alot of it is the Washington dinner party circuit. The Repubs are far better at tapping reporters aspirations and desires to be "on the inside.")

    And, I would guess that CNN is pretty well protected at this point, so I wouldn't.

    Don't ask me how I know, but those plastic riot shields hurt far more than you think they will.


    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home