.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Bush Marriage Breakup!!!!

Media Matters covers this Globe story as a matter of balance following the NYTimes article on the Clinton's marriage. It's tabloid, it's crap.

But what I find much more interesting is the politics of it. The trash tabloids you see at the checkout lanes are owned and run almost exclusively by huge right wing donors. In all your time in the checkout lanes have you ever seen a negative story about Bush before?

I would guess that there are two elements at play here.
1) "Give the people what they want." Broadly speaking, America no longer likes Bush, and thus, like so many famous figures before him, are looking for stories that tear him down.

2) The politics have reached a point where this is allowed.

As political indicators go, tabloids are a pretty poor one, but I think it's symptomatic of the distrust/dislike/disdain bubbling up from the American people. I would parallel it with the significant increase in Bush jokes on the late night shows since November of last year. (I don't have a link to the source study handy, you're gonna have to trust me. Up something like 30%.)

(Also, just as an aside, if you did click through to look at the Globe front page, didn't it titilate you a little? Aren't you the least bit curious? "Nasty Fights - Booze Problems - Laura Urges Counselling."

I'm actually headed to the grocery store momentarily, and I'm willing to bet when I get there, I'm probably gonna find a long line so I can flip through it.)

UPDATE: It took just a minute. I didn't even have to go to the grocery store. Here's the complete text and a scan of the splash page. (I don't know the source blog.) And, no, I don't believe it. But I find it fun nonetheless.

7 Comments:

  • Rupert signalled a shift, but this rag seems even more sleazy than his publications.
    The one thing they do have in common is they know where the money is. I would say this is a powerful indicator of change.
    With Kvatch's nottes on the wingnut factor and the fact that the Repubs are actually worried about losing Cunningham's CA district, there seems to be a snowball on the move.

    And yes, titilating is one word. It is the sort of cover not to be seen on.

    By Blogger Cartledge, at 11:13 AM  

  • You don't even have to go to the tabloids anymore. The NY Times does hatchet jobs on Hillary, pondering her boinking habits and now they're wondering about Nancy Pelosi's makeup/hair.

    By Blogger Greyhair, at 12:10 PM  

  • Cartledge, oh, it's levels below murdoch's tabloids. And, I don't know how telling the Busby/Cunningham seat is, but you'd still rather win it than not.

    And, Greyhair, couple that with flattering puff pieces about Condi's fashion sense and Ipod choices.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 1:53 PM  

  • mike, yes indeed. I've been amused that you even designate them with term tabloid. In my experience a tabloid is lightweight, but has some real news between the sleaze.
    However you style it, the lower end of the media sector is purely circulation/revenue driven, with no regard to the value of content.
    Rupert straddles the fence to a degree, but still plays it strictly for the cash.

    By Blogger Cartledge, at 2:06 PM  

  • Well, outside of New York, the US doesn't really have true British style or, I assume Australian style, tabloids. So ther term here has largely evolved to reflect publications that print the inflammatory and rarely true.

    I think it's just a different use of language. In NY Murdoch does have a tabloid that would meet the British definition, but through the rest of the country, they don't really exist.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 2:10 PM  

  • The sad part is, Bush is an asshat and probably drinking again,but we will never fully know..but we do know that the NYT and WaPo like to worry about Hill and Bill..

    who has the power?..the shrub..who do they write about?..Hill and Bill..makes sense to me!!! NOT..

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:13 PM  

  • That's why mediamatters brought this up.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home