.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Slow Saturday Catchall

Saturday's are always slow blogging, so here are a few "fixes" if you're looking.

At a town hall meeting, Senator Tom Coburn (R - OK) said that he expects at least seven lawmakers to go to jail in the Abramoff scandal.

Also, I saw this on CNN on Your World Today, but didn't blog it because I wasn't sure of this guy's credentials. Colonel Sam Gardiner repeats and affirms Sy Hersh's claim that US ground troops are already carrying out operations in Iraq.

Expect the GOP to try to limit freedoms in an effort to appeal to their base. Anti-gay, anti-flag burning, anti-abortion are all on the menu for reelection seeking Republicans. Because, after all, those are the real issues, not the two abscessing wars or the $1,200+ per person per year growth of the debt.

Lastly, two quick stray thoughts from today.

How ironic is it that at the birth of our country, the military was put under civilian control with the stated intention of limiting the generals from being too warlike, and now we're in a situation where the generals are criticizing the civilians for the exact same reason. It really tells you how far out this administration is.

Second. As the US is pouring trillions of dollars into defense, weapons systems, and wars, China is investing heavily in infrastructure and their economy. Which strategy is more likely to prevail?

2 Comments:

  • I blogged that AP story about the GOP agenda going into the midterms too.

    Frankly, I want to know how they spew that stuff about gay marriage, abortion, and flag-burning being the most important issues facing the nation today to the press and keep a straight face?

    I mean, shouldn't they being going wink-wink, nudge-nudge to the press people while they repeat the gay marriage, flag-burning, abortion banning talking points?

    I know I would. But I guess that's why I wouldn't make such a good conservative GOP politician - I wouldn't be able to regurgitate the talking points ad nauseum without freelancing a little bit for my own amusement.

    By Blogger Reality-Based Educator, at 9:42 PM  

  • I don't think it's inconsistent to them. I sincerely believe that they have this idea of Mayberry trapped in their heads as something that can be achieved.

    Kind of a Ned Flanders world, if you will.

    And, I don't think they see it as inconsistent, because the people making these pronouncements come out of the churches where such inconsistency is accepted because not to accept it is not to have "faith." They really are a "faith based community.

    (disclaimer. I have no truck with Jesus. I consider him and his teachings to be phenomenal. But I don't think the vocal group of Republican Christians are, well, Christian. So understand if I'm blasting them, I am not blasting christianity.)

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home