.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Friday, April 14, 2006

Finishing up my taxes today

Quick thoughts on taxes:

1) Should April 15(April 17 this year) be a "patriotic" day with flags and the whole bit? I mean, it is the day when, symbolically at least, Americans all contribute to our country. (Sort of an enforced PBS pledge drive.)

2) How will this tax day affect Republican's opinions of Bush? Taxes certainly generate a fair amount of animosity, will it come out as a dislike of the Republican's rampant spending policies? Or will their "tax cut the country into debt" message be the opinion?

3) Is it any coincidence that tax day just happens to be about as far away from election day as you can get? I don't think so either.

Unrelated, I drive a diesel car with a big tank that gets roughly 30 mpg and I don't drive all that much so I end up filling up about once every three weeks. It really creates quite a shock when gas prices rise quickly. I paid $2.75/gallon for diesel this morning.

In 1999, I remember paying $0.75 per gallon for regular down near Corpus Christi.

I think it's called sticker shock.

6 Comments:

  • I live in Manhattan and don't drive at all.

    There is a gas station a block or so away from my apartment building.

    I can see it from window as I type.

    Yesterday the gas signs read $2.94/$3.04/$3.14

    That's an awful lot of money for gasoline, especially considering it's only April.

    What happens when summer driving and hurricane seasons arrive?

    By Blogger Reality-Based Educator, at 2:49 PM  

  • Wow, that's amazing. I'm here in Houston and we no longer have the cheapest gas in the country which says something, although I'm not sure what.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 3:00 PM  

  • 3) Is it any coincidence that tax day just happens to be about as far away from election day as you can get? I don't think so either.

    You know, I never thought about that. Spooky (cue ominous music...).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:31 PM  

  • You ain't seen nothin yet in terms of petroleum costs.

    By Blogger Greyhair, at 4:35 PM  

  • I think gas prices are only going to get more expensive for the summer, and that is certainly a depressing thought. I drive 400 miles to get back to my home state from where I go to college, during the summer I plan to drive as little as possible, and ride a bicycle to my job. Gas prices are just getting too out of hand.

    By Blogger The Flamingo, at 4:48 PM  

  • Kvatch, I just had too much time to think while I was digging through the old files.

    Greyhair and Flamingo. I am a believer in peak oil, and I think it's only going to get much worse over the next decade.

    On current projections, demand is going to just keep rising b/c of India/China and all the rest while supply, at best, is going to grow more slowly. Basic economics leads to $8-10 gas.

    And current gas prices really haven't passed through to food yet which surprises me. If you look at petroleum heavy beef and all the energy involved in growing the feed grain and fertilizers and farming and shipping and refrig. I guess that's the one bright spot of the mad cow outbreak.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home