.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

American deaths as "meanwhile"

I recognize that I write sloppily sometimes, and sometimes I write too quickly, but this....
BAGHDAD, Iraq - Bitter rivalry between two powerful clans for leadership of Iraq's Shiite Muslims snarled efforts Tuesday to agree on the next prime minister, the key issue that is blocking a national unity government. Meanwhile, the U.S. military reported the deaths of five more soldiers, including three killed Tuesday in a roadside bombing north of the capital.

Five US soldiers died and they've reported it as a backstory.

Have we become desensitized? As there is to be no change in plans, policies, or strategy for the foreseeable future, are the soldier's deaths being deemphasized because the sorrow is incovenient and unresolvable? I'm not alleging conspiracy here, but instead denial on a cultural scale.

We don't talk about it anymore because it's awful and it's not going to change. (Like racism, poverty, the environment....)

2 Comments:

  • I'm surprised they reported it at all. I've been watching defenselink.mil and five soldiers dead is about average for any two or three day stretch yet one almost never sees it in the news.

    By Blogger Justin, at 1:24 AM  

  • I know, I watch the Iraq body count link to the right which lists the Pentagon reports. I'm having the same experience.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home