.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

On withdrawing the torture photos

President Barack Obama reversed his decision to release detainee abuse photos from Iraq and Afghanistan after Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki warned that Iraq would erupt into violence and that Iraqis would demand that U.S. troops withdraw from Iraq a year earlier than planned, two U.S. military officers, a senior defense official and a State Department official have told McClatchy.
.

3 Comments:

  • McClatchy are usually reliable so I guess I have to believe it. I can understand Maliki not wanting his name associated with Abu Ghraib but it also lets Obama conveniently off the hook. No comment from Iraqi officials.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:49 AM  

  • Good point.

    And, I tend to trust McClatchy, too, although I don't know the byline Nancy Youssef.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 10:00 AM  

  • Also, I probably should have added for context that this semi-exculpatory piece comes right before Obama's mideast trip, making some of those awkward moments a little better.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home