.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Friday, March 14, 2008

Quote

President Bush in a videoconference yesterday talking about the soldiers in Afghanistan,
“I must say, I’m a little envious,” Bush said. “If I were slightly younger and not employed here, I think it would be a fantastic experience to be on the front lines of helping this young democracy succeed.”

“It must be exciting for you … in some ways romantic, in some ways, you know, confronting danger. You’re really making history, and thanks,” Bush said.
.

7 Comments:

  • When I read this quote, I was reminded of the popular romanticism in certain American corners during WWI. Yes, World War One.

    I don't get the appeal of W. To my ears, this is a twisted -- almost sadistic -- sentiment.

    By Blogger -epm, at 3:37 PM  

  • I take it Dubya hasn't read "All Quiet on the Western Front".

    By Blogger matt, at 3:42 PM  

  • Yeah, and we should probably also point out that the guy couldn't even finish his Air Nat'l Guard duty which he undertook to avoid the "romance" of Vietnam.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 3:51 PM  

  • I hate so say it but I think he has a point. For a lot of young guys excitement is a big part of the attraction.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:27 PM  

  • Romance gets them to sign up, but the fighting itself is not romantic

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 4:52 PM  

  • No but there's something about being in a life and death situation that appeals to certain young men.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:11 PM  

  • This makes me ill.

    By Blogger r8r, at 12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home