.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Political bits

Clinton is closing out in Texas by hitting women hard, holding a predominantly female fundraiser with surprise guest speaker Gloria Steinem and this somewhat surprising metaphor.
“Now, you know, as President Bush is leavin’ and comin’ home, waiting in that Oval Office are gonna be a lot of problems,” Clinton told the crowd. “So, the next president is gonna have to get in there and clean house,” she added.

“Now, I think we need somebody whose got some experience cleaning house to go into the White House,” she said to cheers. “So, I might ask you to grab your brooms and your mops, your vacuum cleaners and come on up and help me out,” Clinton said to an audience that included men but was majority female.


(Gloria Steinem "gave a nod to the few men in the audience promising to give them protection from the “upcoming revolution.”")

LATER: I would say that's one of the less controversial things Steinem said.

(Is the whole "mistreated by the press" a gender play?)

(NYTimes) Obama is spending his financial advantage to try and knockout Clinton. (Obama is on TV everywhere in Houston.)

(Politico) The Dallas Morning News got hold of Clinton "caucus training materials. ("DO NOT allow the supporter of another candidate to serve in leadership roles.")

(AP) "Clinton was heading to Fort Worth and Dallas, before flying to Ohio Saturday night to kick off an "88 counties in 88 hours" bus marathon through that state, stretching into Monday morning."

(Politico) McCain's campaign won't release their fundraising numbers for February. (A sure sign he got blown out by the Dems. Estimates around $12 million.)

(NYTimes) Obama-Rezco gets some coverage, but as far as I can tell, it's not linked on the NYTimes front page.

The CTV story on Obama, the Canadians, and Nafta is sounding more and more like a Republican favor/hit by the Chief of Staff to the Prime Minister. (As I suspected.)

And, (CBS) In a "tell" of their expectations, Clinton is rallying in Ohio the night of Mar. 4, Obama in Texas.

And, one more interesting. Obama is periodically talking up Republican Senator (and real maverick) Hagel, possibly as a future member of his administration. How would that mess up McCain's game? Would Hagel play along?

9 Comments:

  • “Now, you know, as President Bush is leavin’ and comin’ home, waiting in that Oval Office are gonna be a lot of problems,” Clinton told the crowd. “So, the next president is gonna have to get in there and clean house,” she added.
    Suddenly, she's a Texan? Ain't that just as much panderin' as you accuse Obama of?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:28 AM  

  • I've said it before, I find Hillary's gender bating bordering on offensive. She's using it as a wedge issue in a manner I find, at times, disingenuous.

    This whole house cleaning thing, coming from Hillary, seems kind of patronizing to women (and man) who actually do their own house cleaning. Rank hokum and manipulation. The whole Gloria Steinem thing and all... it's so yesterday's paradigm. It feels like a rerun of a 1970s TV movie.

    I'm sure it works for the demographic for which it's intended. There are plenty of women who seem to use Hillary as a vessel for their own, personal frustrations. This, above all else, is enough for these voters. While the same could be said about Obama's "Hope" message, Hillary has more of a "me" tone and Obama an "us" tone.

    Hillary is always looking for the victim, "help, help, I'm being repressed" angle to stifle opposition. I don't buy it. What a whiner. Obama pointed this out in the debate, I think, that he's been the target of some pretty nasty stuff but you don't hear him "whining" about it. Yes, he use the word whining.

    ----------

    I know I'm letting my biases show, but dear god, I just want to put a fork in this campaign and call it done. The sooner the Dems unify against McCain and get a game plan ready for the GOP toxic waste political machine the better.

    By Blogger -epm, at 9:51 AM  

  • good gawd! yeah that's real progressive..."and when we're done cleaning we'll whip up a batch of cookies and a pitcher of iced tea!" I'm suprised Steinem's head didn't turn in a full circle and strangle HRC on the spot!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:51 AM  

  • She's trying to come up with a fusion of the liberated career woman and the apple pie mom with a down home accent.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:04 AM  

  • Ron, Now I'm getting blasted for being too pro Clinton?

    After all the crap I've taken for months of being too pro-Obama?

    Jesus.

    Allright. I wasn't saying that Obama panders and Clinton doesn't. I come across the sombrero photo and looked for others, and I thought this was a fairly classic example. Clinton did the exact same food/leaders/people in Hispanic California. It's a standard campaign procedure.

    In fact, I would compliment this Obama pander as an extremely efficient operation. He hit every one of the bullet points in less than 6 hours.

    ....

    EPM, Some of the gender stuff I don't see as that big a deal, just like some of the black stuff Obama does. It's more delivery, style, and word choice, BUT....

    I thought this one was very interesting because it's so obvious.

    (As Anon points out, in a room full of women for whom Gloria Steinem is a draw, does the gender role reinforcing stereotype work?)

    ......

    And, Barring something freaky, Wednesday.

    ....

    Anon, I think that's actually what hit me the hardest. Does that metaphor/stereotype work in that room?

    I'm guessing it must've.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 11:25 AM  

  • Remember, Mike, Barack is Good. Hillary is Evil. No departures from that storyline are permissible.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:48 PM  

  • These "cleaning house" references don't resonate with me and I know a few Clinton supporters who would be offended by any reminder that women have been "expected" to clean up after others. So I don't find this a particularly endearing campaign strategy. However, I think you all may be taking this a little too seriously. I understand the aspect of women sticking together and diffusing this expectation of cleaning with something along the lines - you want me to do the cleaning? - ok then I am going to sweep you right out of the White House. Think of that famous line, "I'm going to wash that man right out of my hair" Seriously, you have the right to call this strategy lame but there is no need to get all huffy and uptight!!

    By Blogger Ptelea, at 5:53 PM  

  • TG, I know I really hate being criticized as you know.

    Bottom line, they all have problems.

    (And again, you'll not I criticized the campaign, not the candidate.)

    ....

    Ptelea, Thanks for the comment on this one. I kind of have some sense of who you are, and as a white male under 40, I feel very hesiotant passing too much judgement on Clinto trying to appeal to women. My experience is so different that I don't feel too comfortable evaluating it.

    I don't think this is "lame." I just find it a little surprising, a little unusual that this would be the metaphor in front of what I presume to be a fairly feminist crowd.

    I should probably also add that this is what, one paragraph, out of a much longer speech. Probably giving it more emphasis than it deserves.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 6:08 PM  

  • define huffy...

    define uptight...

    I'm neither.

    But I am objective. And realistic...a specific trait visibily and gapingly absent in bill's wife's campaign.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home