.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Early exits. Bad news for Clinton.

Politicalwire has compiled some exit polling.

  • Women: Obama 51%, Clinton 49%
  • Change vs. experience, 52% to 24%.
  • Just 17% are first time voters
  • Families with income under 50,000: Obama 51%, Clinton 49%
  • Independents: Obama 63%, Clinton 34%
  • Seniors: Clinton 60%, Obama 39%
  • Top quality - experience: Clinton 95%, Obama 5%
  • Union households: Clinton 50%, Obama 49%

This exit polling could be wrong, but oy. Obama wins women. Obama wins under 50K.....

6 Comments:

  • Is the senior vote because they're uncomfortable with change (comfortable with predictable establishment), or, dare I say, is it a race thing.

    By Blogger -epm, at 7:50 PM  

  • Maybe I'm more charitable, but I would guess it's because Clinton is a more classic style democrat.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 9:39 PM  

  • That's true. Also my reading is that 'seniors' have more experience, so they tend to value it more...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:03 PM  

  • I say over 85% race...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:05 PM  

  • I'm just not willing to go there. 65 would mean 20 in 1963. If they were Dems then, they were very likely civil rights.

    (I'm not saying that's not a factor, just not the largest factor.)

    Plus, if they're like my grandma, a name they can remember carries alot of weight.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 10:08 PM  

  • I'm just putting it out there. I'm just find the 60/40 split in this one demographic interesting. This is a heavy skew and I imagine there's a singular judgment as to why they would go for Hillary and against Barack.

    My first suspicion is it's that "change" is not a welcome paradigm for seniors. They're looking for predictable stability. To wit, Hillary. However, I've also been surprised with the low level rumbling of questioning race in folks I considered "liberal."

    I'm coming to see an ugly and unspoken prejudice in the visceral roots of many middle aged and older whites (no not ALL whites!). It's repressed and seldom acted on, but the feeling is there.

    By Blogger -epm, at 12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home