.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Sunday, September 23, 2007

The frontal assault on Giuliani.

Kinda flat tonight. The only notable is the WaPo going front page with an article shooting holes in Giuliani's claims of terrorism expertise.

Thus far, the Giuliani campaign has done a pretty good job avoiding the direct challenges to his terror credentials, hiding any controversy behind our collective misty memories of that day.

I'll be really curious to see how well the Giuliani campaign can preserve that 9-11 image when the national campaign spotlight is held up to his record.

(Perhaps the mistake I'm making is that I'm judging all this based on facts, not on "gut." Giuliani is effective not because of what he's really done, or the nonsense foreign policy he's now spouting, but instead because he evokes images of resolution.

When President Bush was being flitted about the country making nervous statements, Giuliani appeared strong, at least stronger than the president.

Perhaps to attack Giuliani, you don't wage a campaign based on facts, but instead, go after that image.)

3 Comments:

  • I was certainly impressed with Giuliani on 9/11. What I've learned since about him gave me a fuller picture, and I think that fuller picture is going to sink him. I can't see him being the nominee.

    But if you're suspicion is right and voters go for him based on gut reaction to 9/11, is attacking the image the right way to go about it? I think that'll just anger the gut voters and make them stronger Giulani supporters.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:19 PM  

  • I keep expecting him to sink as well, but thus far, that's not really happening. By no means does he have a commanding lead, maybe that 30% is all that's out there for him, but that image seems to carry him through everything.

    And, I wondered about attacking the image, too, but I think you do it indirectly. But, yeah, I see the possible pitfalls there as well.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 10:50 PM  

  • The only way to beat the GOP consistantly is by using facts...they hide behind the image of chickenhawk tough-guy which was all founded on getting picked on when they were kids (see Rove...) or a clost case failure who is afraid of what they really are...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home