.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

I fear a bloody August

Assuming a thinking and aware enemy who wants us out of Iraq, I fear we can expect a very bloody August in an effort to shape that American debate in September.

(Within the context of violence used to influence political policy, a spike in August violence would likely have more impact if it came like a wave on the tail of a lower violence July.)

So, if you really want to know if "the surge" has diminished the ability of the various groups to conduct violence, rather than simply achieved a reduction in violence, August, I fear, is the month to watch.

I don't think it's coincidental that August begins with 4 bombings killing at least 70.

5 Comments:

  • I'd guess US casualties will be lower than July.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:53 PM  

  • I really don't know, but if I were playing their side, I'd commit some resources to it. If they still have the capability which I think they do.

    And it has to be headline grabbing. Big bombings, more "kidnaps" of US soldiers.

    You've got Al Qaeda, Iran, Mahdi, some Sunni groups who all have capabilities and all want the US out.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 2:07 PM  

  • Keep the soldiers on the bases and you can keep the casualty rate low. I'm sure Petraeus wants a low number. It could mean an increase in sectarian killings though.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:14 PM  

  • But a high civilian number doesn't help too much either. I would expect some degree of hunkering down, though, and frankly, I don't mind it that much.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 5:29 PM  

  • Call me callous but I suspect the US public is more impressed by a drop in US troop casualties than an increase in Iraqi civilian deaths.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home