.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

SA-14 or SA-16 brought down Marine helicopter

This is a big deal. Not just that this helicopter was shot down by a missile, but that it was shot down by a fairly sophisticated missile that didn't come from Saddam's stockpiles.
The Army's senior aviation officer in Iraq said yesterday that Sunni fighters probably used a sophisticated SA-14 or SA-16 shoulder-fired missile to shoot down a Marine helicopter on Feb. 7, killing all seven people on board.....

The Russian-manufactured SA-14 or SA-16 probably would have been brought into the country from abroad relatively recently, Simmons said in an interview.

Let's remember that this missile was fired by Sunnis and did not come from Iran. The Sunnis are bringing in sophisticated weaponry, and that requires funding and well established smuggling routes.

So, who is supplying the Sunnis to kill Americans? Why am I not seeing Baghdad briefings and Washington news conferences on that?

Also, another Blackhawk down in Baghdad?

5 Comments:

  • I swear -- I get more useful understanding of this war and related events from 15 minutes reading your blog than I do in two hours of news from tv and newspapers.

    You provide a wonderful public service presenting and organizing news reports for us.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:30 AM  

  • Thanks a ton. For some reason, my style doesn't bring too many comments relative to visitors. I'm guessing alot of people just scan for the articles. So, it's nice to get feedback.

    I try not to chase every incident. There are some good places for that like Today in Iraq, but really, I lack the discipline for it.

    What I try to do is highlight when the official narrative deviates from what I'm seeing or when a particular turning point comes around. (Like the helicopter downings in December or the Karbala killings.)

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 2:00 PM  

  • I have no doubt that Saudi Arabia are arming the Sunni in Iraq. And yet we are saber rattling toward Iran alone??? The Bushies are so intertwined with the Saudis.

    By Blogger Handsome B. Wonderful, at 5:58 PM  

  • That's exactly my point.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 6:39 PM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home