.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Quickhits

(AP, BBC) A carbomb aimed at a bus in southwest Iran has killed 18 Revolutionary Guards. Reportedly suspects have been arrested and suspicion is on Sunni groups. (I don't quite have the NYTimes' skepticism of IRNA, but I'm still going to wait for details before making any judgements.)

(AP) The Bush budget increases VA spending for next year followed by four years of cuts and freezes. (Support the troops, my ass!!!)

(NYTimes) The EU Parliament has approved a report outlining European cooperation in US renditions.

(Reuters) Chavez is nationalizing quickly.

(AFP) I wonder how Republican '08 candidates feel about Bush administration officials predicting '07 as an economic down year followed by growth after that? This year will determine the entire economic argument in the '08 race.

And, Don't miss Milbank as he discusses the Republican tactics around the House resolution on Iraq.

4 Comments:

  • The EU Parliament has approved a report outlining European cooperation in US renditions.

    This should read:
    The EU Parliament has approved a report denouncing European cooperation in US renditions.

    By Blogger -epm, at 10:04 AM  

  • re: bombing in Iran

    I wonder if the Iranian will find munition scraps traceable back to the highest levels of the US government?

    By Blogger -epm, at 10:05 AM  

  • Fair point on the EU posting. I did it quickly because there's no real detail about the renditions in the story, and I don't see it making any significant difference at this point. At least until someone is held legally or politically responsible.

    I know that the US gives money to Sunni groups in Iran, but I don't know about this specific one.

    I doubt they'll find US serial numbers or obvious links because almost every intelligence service in the world uses cut outs and third party weapons.

    (That's what makes the Iran-Iraq allegations so unbelievable to me. The Iranian intel services are pretty good. After all, they used Chalabi and other means to help us into this war that's benefitting them. That's not keystone cops.)

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 10:18 AM  

  • I was kinda being snarky about Iran finding US munitions.... I meant it to be ironic... Iranians "finding" "evidence" of US involvement. In this war, reality doesn't count for much in the hands of politicians.

    By Blogger -epm, at 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home