.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Political bits

Menendez in NJ is still in front, as is Cardin in Maryland. The NSRCC gave $844,000 to an outside group to run hit ads against Cardin. (I've never seen how either one of these goes red in this year. Like Stabenow in Michigan, why are they spending money there? Do they have more money than good options?)

Reuters repeats RCP yesterday. Polling shows Dems taking six Senate seats by wafer thin margins. For what that's worth.

Curious, public polling shows Corker stretching away from Ford, but GOP internal polling only shows him up by 2? (Usually, you release internals show your guy better.)

Charlie Cook continues his case for a blue wave.

The NRCC dumped $6 million more into House races focused mainly on four races in Pa.

Romney tries to set himself up as the solution to a midterm loss that hasn't happened yet? Talk about dancing at the deathbed.

In the close House races, Wilson is sinking, Hayworth is sinking, Nussle is sinking, Chocula is sinking. I don't really follow all these races closely, but my general impression is that as the polling firms up, the Dems are gaining a little in many races.

Take the minute to watch this ad.

The desperation is starting to stink. Republican loyalist Bob Dornan warns "christians" of a "hell fire of a Nancy Pelosi Catholic." Did you hear that Protestants?

Sherwood is paying hush money to the mistress he choked. Half before the election, half after.

And, I assume by now that you saw that the president of the National Association of Evangelicals has been allegedly having a three year affair with a homosexual prostitute. I question the claim even though the male prostitute claims to have voicemails and is going to take a polygraph on Friday. (Why not produce the voicemails as proof?)

(Latest: Haggard is temporarily stepping down, but, his lawyer says, not admitting anything. Innocent people often send their lawyer out for the press conference. How long til rehab?)

ALSO: If you're voting on a Sequoia voting machine, be sure to press the yellow button a dozen times so you're vote will count a dozen times. I'm not kidding.

****I'll be updating this post throughout the afternoon.

9 Comments:

  • On Haggard:

    They have an expression here that translates poorly, but it is something like, "The goose precisely shot squaks the loudest."

    There seems to be a lot of that going around.

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 4:48 PM  

  • Let me try it in Mike-speak,

    Repression will bite you in the ass.
    (because you secretly want it to.)

    Mike

    (I'm going to say again, that this story smells fishy to me for some reason. Colorado has a "gay marriage" referendum on the ballot and the politics around it have gotten remarkably nasty.

    If the guy has proof, why not supply it now? And by making a false claim popular in his community, how much damage to a reputation would an admitted male prostitute really suffer?)

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 5:01 PM  

  • Could be a bullshit allegation, but then why did Haggard step down "temporarily" today from his post?

    By Blogger Reality-Based Educator, at 5:09 PM  

  • I'm sorry...but I'm really enjoying this. This guy said he was steady with his wife...part of his denial statement. What kind of a statement is that to describe your loving relationship with the old ball and chain? Steady doesn't come to mind very quickly when I think of my husband. That's just weirder than weird!

    By Blogger sumo, at 5:19 PM  

  • I just saw and added that.

    I thought the lawyer issuing the statement was interesting.

    In your history of watching scandal, has anyone ever put a lawyer up for his press conference and then turned out to be totally cleared?

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 5:20 PM  

  • Sumo, I caught that weird use of "steady" as well. What was that? Where was the "I love my wife very much, this is groundless..."

    I was hesitant to jump on this bandwagon as the whole thing smelled a little funny, but Haggard is doing nothing to convince me it's not true.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 5:24 PM  

  • Where is the outrage from Haggard? If you are going to deny it, go all the way.

    If it isn't true, wouldn't you be outraged? He sure seems to be taking it in stride.

    Still, show me some proof.

    btw,

    If you read the actual instructions on the voting machine piece, it looks like you use other people's vots. So in actuality, it would be hard for voters to manipulate it because later voters would arrive to find they have already voted.

    Or maybe I'm reading it wrong. But if I'm not, that would mean that it could most effectively be used by people working the booths, but still, way too big of a conspiracy to pull off.

    Could it just be incompetance?

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 6:50 PM  

  • I'm commenting...just to say I'm speechless.

    By Blogger Chuck, at 7:15 PM  

  • Praguetwin, yeah, he's taking this in an easy stride, eh?

    And, on the voting machines, I don't know. But, in Ohio in '04 when there were more Republican votes in the machines than records of voters it was allowed to stand under a Republican Sec State. If I remember right, there was even a rural precinct where there we substantially more votes cast than registered voters in the precinct. Again pro-Republican, and that was allowed to stand.

    Not my area of expertise, but it's a huge and floating issue. That's one of the reasons that the governorships in the swing states is now huge as they appoint the election officials.

    ...

    Chuck, That's one of two responses. I went with the other, disbelieving cackling laughter. But, hey, that's just me.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home