.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Monday, November 06, 2006

The myth of the Republican machine

I recognize I'm speaking heresy, but I don't believe in the unbeatable Republican GOTV machine. It has achieved nearly mythical status over the last few elections, but there were other factors driving that turnout, primarily the linkage between voting for Republicans and "Christian duty."

I would still say that it's probably very effective, but I think the equation that translates RNC "voter contacts" into actual votes has probably been somewhat diminished by the disillusionment of the Christian Right with this president and Congress.

Voter enthusiasm is a major factor in establishing that ratio of contacts to votes, and by all indications, Republican enthusiasm is way down. How well does that carefully targeted gay marriage mailer work when someone's more concerned about Iraq?

I may be very wrong, but it seems the almost feverish promotion of "numbers of contacts" is aimed more at altering the media narrative. Notice they're not touting giant rallies and aren't mentioning volunteer numbers at all.

(However, I do have little doubt in their voter suppression efforts.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home