.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The two radical trends in megachurches: cultural sequestration and self-centered Christianity

I'm writing this post for those of you who live in an area without a Protestant/Baptist megachurch. We have four megachurches in Houston including the largest in the country (Lakewood) which took over the old pro basketball arena. (Of course, I've got pictures.)

The megachurch is at the forefront of two major cultural waves.

First, they represent an effort to build cultural gated communities within the larger city of Houston. Second Baptist, the local mega with the probably most enveloping "community" has within itself itself a complete social structure carrying its members from cradle to grave. They have daycare, a school, mixers, singles functions/matchmaking, exercise facilities, job assistance, social functions, counselling, right up to senior care.

Effectively, a church member can live their life totally within that "Christian" context. It does have a lure primarily among families with children in that it allows those kids a "safe place." But, interestingly to me, that "safe place" isn't only objects in the real world; the megachurch culture also works to construct a safe virtual world, movies, TV, music etc. An entire industry has grown up to serve Christian rock, literature, and Veggie Tales to this "safe community."

The megachurch fully engaged has the effect of segregating church members in a self reinforcing belief system that extends well beyond Christian tenets. So, when you hear wacky polling or absurdist comments around the "culture war" understand that there are people who live within this self reinforcing reality.

Second: The other major shift that has taken place within the structure of the Megachurch is the actual deemphasis of traditional Christianity. The "traditional" Christian virtures, mercy, charity, humility, and love, have been replaced with a narcissistic philosophy of Christian self improvement.

The whole thing is underpinned by a Christian backbone, but if you look at the sermons and products of Joel Osteen as example (the main guy at Lakewood,) they actually have very little to do with Christianity.

This, I think, is one of the reasons for the growing popularity of the megachurch. Listening to bible verse is boring, but "Living at my Full Potential," that has zazz.

I would argue that this populist new Christianity represents a fundamental shift in values from "what would Jesus do?" to "What can Jesus do for me?"

That's not an absolute shift by any means, but I do think it's big and historic change in the interpretation of Christianity and the relationship of God to the individual. I'm not yet sure what the long term implications of this are.

(A little busy this PM, so I threw up something I wrote awhile back. Normal service will resume tonight/tomorrow.)

9 Comments:

  • I watch Osteen now and then kind of like a chicken-necker at a bad accident scene.

    Last time I saw him he was talking about eating right. Would Jesus eat polysaturated fats? Aparently not.

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 5:23 PM  

  • That's exactly my point.

    It's a really weird alchemy that's going on.

    And, I am not a Christian, but there is a certain type of christianty I respect and this bizarre, gated community, me first christianity just strikes me all wrong.

    I don't expect people to be mother Theresa, but still...

    It just goes against alot of what I find positive in Christianity.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 5:57 PM  

  • I heard it referred to as Wealth and Health Christianity. Offer you tithing, do as the preacher directs and God will heal what ails you and fill your purse.

    The New And Improved Christianity doesn't seem to have too much room for the teachings of Christ.

    By Blogger -epm, at 7:28 PM  

  • Actually, the wealth item is a notable subset of the second part.

    Sort of an updated version of the pilgrim's "elect" or a direct connection protestant work ethic. Because there are actually Christian wealth groups which profess that material success flows directly from god, therefore those that are right by god are successful. I was invited into one of those meetings once it was creepy.

    It really opened my eyes to the corruption of this brand of materialist Christianity. People are poor because they're not right with god.

    The market is transferred to be the judgement of god. creepy.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 8:41 PM  

  • Having known a lot of very messed up twenty-soemthings who ran away from or were shunned by Hutterite colonies, my thought runs to what sort of generation might emerge from behind those gated walls 20 some years hence?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:34 PM  

  • Yeah, bill. Have you heard of the Christian army movie or whatever it is?

    I'll call ya.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 9:42 PM  

  • Mike, I thought this was very insightful. I posted much of it with comments over at Spengler's Forum. You might wanta take a gander over there at what the real Christians think of your description.

    By Blogger Faustus and FrankenKitty, at 12:19 AM  

  • As Stalin reportedly hissed to Churchill during a WWII dialogue, "...and how many divisions has the Pope?"

    The answer in the middle ages was effectively "many." Maybe we'll see that again...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:59 AM  

  • Cynic, thanks for the promotion. I looked over and not much yet.

    Bill, I don't know. I think their "battlefield" is US politics. Because of the narcissist backing, selling real sacrifice may be hard.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home