.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Pakistan's ISI still helping Al Qaeda/Taleban

Buried way down at the bottom of this lenghty McClatchy article, "Afghanistan, 5 years later: U.S. confront Taliban's return," is this bit.
They (the Taleban) also received money and weapons from al Qaida and from sympathetic current and former officers of Pakistan's powerful military intelligence agency, the Directorate for Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), according to current and former U.S., European and Afghan officials, commanders and experts.

U.S. intelligence has significant evidence of ISI complicity, said Seth Jones, an expert at the RAND Corp., a think tank that advises the U.S. government. Middle- and junior-level ISI officers are providing the Taliban with intelligence and have foiled several U.S. operations by tipping the insurgents off in advance, he said.

This isn't a huge surprise, but it's the first time I've seen it in credible print.

(Also: In a long context piece, the Christian Science Monitor reports that Musharraf's Waziristan border deal was largely a domestic political deal brokered to gain support from Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam.)

2 Comments:

  • That's a relief. The Indians are going to love his deal with JUI.

    Glad you've kept your eye on these stories. I skimmed and did not get the gold nuggets at the bottom.

    By Blogger Bravo 2-1, at 3:31 PM  

  • I've been reading the Musharraf stories deeply lately, because I have this feeling that Musharraf, the stability of Pakistan, the border region, all that, is "under movement" right now.

    I can't figure out exactly what's troubling me, but I'm getting this bad feeling about it. I feel like there's something there that I'm not seeing.

    (Hope you say my response to your comment below.)

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home