.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Monday, August 21, 2006

Picture of the Day - 2



















A tip of the hat to the Newsweek CW folks who used the phrase, "Increasingly Queeg-like veep."

Freakin' hysterical.

Queeg: "Ahh, but the strawberries that's... that's where I had them. They laughed at me and made jokes but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with... geometric logic... that a duplicate key to the wardroom icebox DID exist, and I'd have produced that key if they hadn't of pulled the Caine out of action. I, I, I know now they were only trying to protect some fellow officers..."

4 Comments:

  • That's one of my favorite movies - Fred MacMurray, Van Johnson, Joses Ferrer, Lee Marvin, Claude Akins, Bogie...wow, I love the Cheney/Queeg analogy too - except for one thing: Queeg served his country, both in peacetime and in war. Cheney, on the other hand, got five deferments and shot an old man in the face on a hunting trip.

    Fred MacMurray is a great movie villian, btw - I'm thinking The Caine Mutiny, The Apartment, and Double Indemnity. Good stuff.

    By Blogger Reality-Based Educator, at 10:33 AM  

  • True. Queeg just snapped while serving and Cheney just came to office snapped, but I can just see him spinning those balls talking about if he just had enough time he could prove, PROVE, that somebody had a key and they stole his WMD.

    And, I've got Double Indemnity on the DVR. I take it it's highly recommended?

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 11:14 AM  

  • Holy shit, Mike, Double Indemnity is absolutely highly recommended. Barbara Stanwyck, Edward G. Robinson (in an avuncular "good guy" role), Fred MacMurray, murder, betrayal, lots of noiresque venetian blinds shots and a script by Billy Wilder adapted from the novel by James M. Cain.

    They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

    Frankly, I like anything by Wilder. But Sunset Boulevard and Double Indemnity are my two favorites.

    By Blogger Reality-Based Educator, at 4:02 PM  

  • I recorded it awhile back and have just been sitting on it waiting for the right evening.

    (And to Bogart, I also have my favorite Bogart movie on there right now, Treasure of Sierra Madre.)

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home