.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Monday, August 21, 2006

Doesn't he have something more important to do?

Snark away.
But President Bush now wants it known that he is a man of letters. In fact, Bush has entered a book-reading competition with Karl Rove, his political adviser. White House aides say the president has read 60 books so far this year (while the brainy Rove, to Bush's competitive delight, has racked up only 50).

And, don't miss the partial list of books.

(Maybe I should make a partial list of books I've "read" in the last eight months. Hmmm... "Ulysses," "Finnegan's Wake," "Problems and Solutions on Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics," the Bible (twice,) Kierkegaard (in the original Danish,) "the Collected Plays of Ianesco," and a couple of books about Leibniz.)

UPDATE: Also USNews, different column.
He loves to cuss, gets a jolly when a mountain biker wipes out trying to keep up with him, and now we're learning that the first frat boy loves flatulence jokes. A top insider let that slip when explaining why President Bush is paranoid around women, always worried about his behavior. But he's still a funny, earthy guy who, for example, can't get enough of fart jokes. He's also known to cut a few for laughs, especially when greeting new young aides, but forget about getting people to gas about that.

7 Comments:

  • Sure is a great stride since "My Pet Goat"

    By Blogger zen, at 3:35 PM  

  • I suggest it is not the reading, but the comprehension which is the key.
    There is no suggestion he's understood anything.

    By Blogger Cartledge, at 3:41 PM  

  • Ahhh, I forgot my pet goat from my list!!!!

    Cartledge, that's what I was thinking. Breezing through, cackling in that weird laugh, "finished another one. How you doing, Karl?" heh, heh, heh.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 3:56 PM  

  • How many of these books were of the pop-up variety? I agree with cartledge, any idiot can read a book, it's what they retain that's important.
    (Isn't it a bit childish to get in a book reading competition?)

    By Blogger Lew Scannon, at 3:57 PM  

  • Yes, and yes. I was in a reading contest when I was in first grade.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 5:15 PM  

  • "Paranoid around women"? What's up with that?

    By Blogger Faustus and FrankenKitty, at 10:43 PM  

  • I assume they mean because he's afraid he's going to be crass or inappropriate or something, but that phrase struck me, too.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home