.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Monday, May 22, 2006

Sy Hersh on the NSA

Sy Hersh has some reporting on the NSA. As with most of his reporting, it has some pretty strong charges based on vague or single sourcing, but definitely worth a read. (I'm a big Sy Hersh fan.)
A security consultant working with a major telecommunications carrier told me that his client set up a top-secret high-speed circuit between its main computer complex and Quantico, Virginia, the site of a government-intelligence computer center. This link provided direct access to the carrier’s network core—the critical area of its system, where all its data are stored. “What the companies are doing is worse than turning over records,” the consultant said. “They’re providing total access to all the data.”....

The N.S.A. also programmed computers to map the connections between telephone numbers in the United States and suspect numbers abroad, sometimes focussing on a geographic area, rather than on a specific person—for example, a region of Pakistan. Such calls often triggered a process, known as “chaining,” in which subsequent calls to and from the American number were monitored and linked.....

The next step, theoretically, could have been to get a suspect’s name and go to the fisa court for a warrant to listen in. One problem, however, was the volume and the ambiguity of the data that had already been generated. (“There’s too many calls and not enough judges in the world,” the former senior intelligence official said.) The agency would also have had to reveal how far it had gone, and how many Americans were involved. And there was a risk that the court could shut down the program.

Instead, the N.S.A. began, in some cases, to eavesdrop on callers (often using computers to listen for key words) or to investigate them using traditional police methods. A government consultant told me that tens of thousands of Americans had had their calls monitored in one way or the other.

Update: Leslie pointed out that I should probably add a link to the Wired revelations this morning. Wired released all the documents and statements from Mark Klein, the key insider witness in the EFF's lawsuit against AT&T over the company's role in giving data and access to the NSA without warrants.

2 Comments:

  • Yeah, the no knock. The requirements have been sliding through the years.

    And on the amendments, 1, 4, 5 that I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm not an expert.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 1:15 PM  

  • Yeah, I did. Thanks. I'm kind of chewing on exactly how to write it up, how to frame it. For some reason I just can't get a blogging "feel" on it.

    I'm going to drop it under this post as just a link and an update at this point.

    If I can get my head around it, I'll probably do more later.

    Thanks again. I always like pointers, links etc.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home