.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Friday, February 10, 2006

South Dakota House Votes to Ban Abortion

Boy, they didn't wait long after Alito got seated did they?

Facts: there is no exemption for rape or incest in this legislation and a proposed five year jail term for doctors who perform the procedure. There are 800 abortions performed in South Dakota each year.

PIERRE, S.D. (AP) -- One brave legislator who voted against freight-train legislation that would ban nearly all abortions in South Dakota said what others were undoubtedly thinking: Vote no and risk political wrath at the polls. ....

Elliott, a teacher, said he opposes abortion but could not vote for HB1215 because the House refused to provide an exemption for victims of rape and incest.....

Abortion, even in cases of rape, is wrong, countered Rep. Keri Weems, R-Sioux Falls, who describes herself as a stay-at-home mother.

"Taking the child's life doesn't take away the rape," she said. "We can't take away the life of the child because the father has committed a horrible crime."

There is one loophole in the bill, which is designed solely as a test case that supporters hope will cause the U.S. Supreme Court to reverse its 1973 Roe v. Wade decision legalizing abortion: Doctors cannot be prosecuted for doing lifesaving abortions on women who otherwise would die.

The penalty for doing illegal abortions, however, would be a maximum of five years in prison.

Filled with abortion foes, the Legislature is likely to pass the bill. The measure next faces a hearing in the state Senate on a date yet to be set.

Wild Bill and Graeme(I know you're North Dakota, Graeme) your observations would be valued.

7 Comments:

  • As I've always said, "As goes South Dakota, so goes the nation."

    That said, I find the "800 abortions per year" figure you cited dubious at best. Are there in fact 800 women in the entire state? If so, are they 800 women worth having sex with?

    Questioning the Data,

    Rex

    By Blogger Rex Kramer, Danger Seeker, at 8:13 PM  

  • That number comes from the article for whatever that's worth. No idea of gathering method or its accuracy.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 8:27 PM  

  • I think Indiana and a couple of other states have done the same thing. Of course, as you know, they are doing it precisely to get the case to the Supreme Court. They could be disappointed. Ever the optimist, I just can't see even this bunch of nutwingers overturning Roe. For one thing, it is a central feature of Republican fundraising year after year.

    By Blogger NEWSGUY, at 10:23 PM  

  • By the way, I found this post America-hating enough in nature to link to it in this saturday's column. I hope your server is up to handling the amount of hate mail you're about to receive!

    Giving fair warning,

    Rex

    By Blogger Rex Kramer, Danger Seeker, at 11:26 PM  

  • I don't know that much about South Dakota politics. Actually I don't know anything about their in state gov.

    The bill still has to go through the senate right?I don't think that it can be that popular of an idea. It is one of things everyone is against, until the situation comes up in your personal life.

    like you said, it really shows people think the court has shifted with Alito.

    yeah, i really don't know much about SD. I have been there a few times, but I don't know much about their state politics. I could see some crazy shit like this happening in ND also though.

    By Blogger Graeme, at 2:16 AM  

  • rest assured if some moronic bill like that shows up in ND legislature, we will raise hell

    By Blogger Graeme, at 2:24 AM  

  • Thanks,Graeme.

    Quite frankly, if, maybe when, something like this passes the Texas house,I would have to look up who my rep is. I don't know jack about my state's politicsbelow about the AG level. I keep up with some key bills, but that's about it. (yes, I know, I should be ashamed)

    And my state, Texas, is the one that had that godawful redistricting with Delay, where he called homeland security to track down the flight plan of the dem legislators hiding in Oklahoma.

    I know I was asking alot asking you to comment on state politics a state over, thanks for the response.

    And, Rex, oh please, oh please, don't turn my name over to the glorious and righteous peoples of God. I know that I have sinned. (Sorry, I don't write satire very well. Thanks for the compliment.)

    And Newsguy, I find it interesting that a tiny, very safe state like South Dakota was chosen as the "test case" on this issue. It tells me that maybe they aren't as sure of their majority on this issue as they claim.

    And, I agree with your point completely. Roe serves as a rallying point for the base, and if they "win" they lose that passion in the base as well as making the other side far more passionate. Kinda like how it is in the Republican political interest to have the terror threat still "out there" and active.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home