.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Friday, February 10, 2006

I'm sold on Feingold

Maybe two weeks ago, a whole bunch of commenters piped in on a post telling me that I should sincerely look at Sen. Russ Feingold as a possible candidate for President in 2008. I don't know how he conducts himself in a campaign, and I saw some early fundraising numbers that showed him well below the presumptive big dogs, but I've gotta say, so far, I'm really impressed.

Feingold is there on every issue fighting hard. It's too far away to make the full pledge of fealty, but I would encourage everybody to keep their eyes open for this guy as you read articles on the big issues. He's there, and he seems fearless. Just keep an eye open.

Here's a sample of a statement he issued after Gonzales testimony Monday.

5 Comments:

  • My favorite part of Feingold's speech was the following:

    The president suggests that anyone who criticizes his illegal wiretapping program doesn't understand the threat we face. But we do. Every single one of us is committed to stopping the terrorists who threaten us and our families.

    This gets lost in the incredible din on this issue, but I would go one step further. The threat that we face from terrorists pales in comparison to the threat posed by a President that considers himself above the law.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:11 AM  

  • Again, I've been watching Feingold since all y'all told me to keep an eye out, and he has been in the middle of everything throwing punches. Frankly, that's what I want in a candidate. Fearless. And he seems really smart, too which is a huge plus in Mike's gradebook.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 11:36 AM  

  • me too dude. I am growing more an more of a fan. he voted against the war, the only senator to vote against the patriot act, and he gets a lot of independent votes. I really think he could win in '08

    By Blogger Graeme, at 11:44 AM  

  • I like him too. However, he is unelectable in a national election. Why? He's Jewish. A woman will be president before a Jew will be in this country. It's sad but true.

    By Blogger Yukkione, at 12:20 PM  

  • Left of Ceneter,

    You may be right about the Jewish angle, but I would take a page out of the Republican's book on this one. You don't have to win everybody. You just have to take your base and a bit of the middle.

    Quite frankly, of the people who would vote against Feingold because he's a Jew, I would wager that very few of them would vote for the Democratic candidate anyway, especially if it's Hillary Clinton. So, I don't think you're losing all that much, and if he campaigns the way he works in the Senate, I think you would easily pick up the difference.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home