.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

While the tinfoil hat is out

I just want to point out this little detail in the Pakistani missile attack story that I just can't nail down.

Originally, the day of the attack and the day after, CNN, as well as several other news sources, was reporting that several of the bodies of those killed in the Pakistani attack were removed by the US for DNA testing, to see if any of them were al Zawahiri, apparently sourced to the Pentagon. (I can look up CNN transcripts if anybody wants to argue this.) I always found this a little difficult to believe. Imagine the scene, lots of local villagers coming to see what happened, and US or Pakistani Gov't personnel tring to smuggle bodies away. (Today's WaPo story obliquely mentions this.)

Today, we get a different, more Pakistani politically friendly version, that Al Qaeda personnel removed the bodies. Were the first reports, up to 24 hours later, wrong? Or is this second story planted to calm the inevitable Pakistani uproar that the US has stolen the dead?

I don't know. But somebody's lying here. Personally, I would guess that the second story is being used to tamp the outrage of the first, but the first seems so unbelievable to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home