.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Thought on a "mandate"

I understand the theory that a mandate for everyone to buy health insurance should (could) lower costs, but that seems to rely on the belief that insurance companies will be "good actors," and, judging from their history, I'm not so sure about that.

This sentence alone should make you very wary.
Hospitals, insurers and drug manufacturers -- salivating at the prospect of up to 50 million newly insured customers -- have lobbied ferociously for the federal provision.


(No one is pouring millions into Congressional races to support a public option.)

5 Comments:

  • Legislating mandatory personal acquisition of health insurance as a "solution" to anything strikes me as very... Marie Antoinette. If the poor cannot afford bread, well, let them eat cake! Duh. Problem solved.

    If the people are uninsured, well, make them buy insurance!, Duh. Problem solved

    By Blogger -epm, at 9:25 AM  

  • I kinda get that, too.

    I think the idea is based on the idea of forced auto insurance, but that, to some degree, is a choice.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 10:17 AM  

  • I know YOUR not advanceing the analogy, just pointing it out, but....

    When I can insure my family for what I pay in auto insurance, I might see the analogy. And I can't see me sitting the family down and saying, "OK, I'm gonna have to take one of you off the road 'cause the insurance is killing me."

    It won't matter anyway, 'cause the congress won't do anything more the rearrange the chairs. Americans are stupid and easily manipulated by fear and lies. And the media are useless in shedding light on lies and calling bullshit on wild, pull-from-their-butt claims.

    By Blogger -epm, at 11:54 AM  

  • Right.

    I stand by my recent prediction that a complete overhaul is probably dead. We'll get some "reforms" probably involving portability and preexisting conditions sweetened with some sort of handout to the ins companies.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 10:20 PM  

  • Forced payment is a necessary evil. You can't have universal coverage if people don't have to pay.

    But forced payment MUST be linked with forced insurance. No one can be denied insurance, but everyone has to pay.... fair enough

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home