.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Thursday, March 06, 2008

The Canada/Nafta story

When I found out the Canadian/Nafta "leak" came from the political Chief of Staff to the PM about a week ago, I kinda stopped covering this, recognizing it as a political hit job, but, if you're still watching, you probably should read this, and this.

There's now a claim that the Clinton camp made the first "rhetoric doesn't mean anything" statement.

If you want to go in there, go ahead, but I'm not dealing with it.

4 Comments:

  • I think the "story" here is not the substance (or lack thereof) of the "leak," but the larger, shadowy, voter manipulation of the "incident." There are many players -- and many layers -- here.

    I thing the entire political theater of this story -- from it's inception to its developing morphing a life of its own at the hands of politicians and bloviators -- to be an interesting case study for a political science major.

    By Blogger -epm, at 9:10 AM  

  • Yeah, but like most dirty tricks, you'll never get the full story.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 11:23 AM  

  • I know. I'm kind of intrigued by the international political gaming that may have been in play. That's what makes this story so different from the run-of-the-mill American dirty politics, I think. I'm more interested in the character study of the players than the content of any "memo."

    By Blogger -epm, at 12:12 PM  

  • I think it's pretty clear, separate from the body of the story, that this was put out with the goal of interfering.

    Hope they don't expect a favor early on.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home