.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Friday, April 20, 2007

Now, I'm really curious.....

Check this out.
Pentagon lawyers abruptly blocked mid-level active-duty military officers from speaking Thursday during a closed-door House Armed Services Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee briefing about their personal experiences working with Iraqi security forces.

The Pentagon's last-minute refusal to allow the officers' presentations surprised panel members and congressional aides, who are in the middle of an investigation into the effort to train and organize Iraqi forces.

Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee Chairman Martin Meehan, D-Mass., called the Pentagon's move "outrageous" and left open the possibility of issuing subpoenas.

This was at a closed door meeting. How bad is that testimony likely to be? How much must it undermine the Bush/Pentagon position? (Is it horror stories about the Iraqi forces or revelations of poor efforts from the US side?)

If I were guessing, I would say the Pentagon doesn't expect to win this fight in the longer term, but is just trying to stall until the Iraq supplemental funding bill goes through. But as to what they're trying to hide, I'm really curious now.....

Oh, and definitely tie this with the earlier McClatchy piece saying that training Iraqi troops has "dropped in priority."

(This is a second hand link. I don't have a National Journal subscription, so for now, this is all I've got. If I see more, I'll update.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home