.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Negroponte takes a demotion - Maybe, here's why.

John Negroponte is leaving as the Director of National Intelligence to take a much less powerful position as Condi Rice's number two. (WaPo, NYTimes, AP) Everyone's speculating why he would take this step down. I would reach back to the last round of rumors for a possibility. (Nov. 21)
There is now talk that Rice is reaching out to Director of National Intelligence John Negroponte, with some suggesting that the offer has been sweetened with a promise to give Negroponte the top job should Rice leave the State Department before the end of the administration. Some Republicans still think Rice may decide to seek elected office—even the presidency in 2008—despite her many protestations to the contrary.

I don't think Condi Rice would run for President, but I would certainly put her in as a strong VP possibility.

4 Comments:

  • This is just weird.

    Is filling the DepSec position at State more important than having a director of National Security?

    Is there no one willing to climb on board the USS BushCo who isn't already on board? Or is it that Capt Decider has circled the wagons so tightly that he's suspicious of anyone not already in his circle of trust?

    Regarding Dr. Rice's political aspirations, I don't think she really has the temperament. If "likability" is the modern criterion for higher office, she fails out of the gate. She's wound just a little to tight... She scares me, and I'd guess she scares other insecure men as well :) But in the end, I don't think she wants to enter the world of elected politics. Wonk though she may be, I don't think she actually likes dealing with the very real, gritty, and messy details of humanity. She's more "think tank" material, if you know what I mean.

    By Blogger -epm, at 9:18 AM  

  • The question of whether anyone wants to come on board is a good one. This post has been open forever.

    I read an interesting theory that Negroponte was being brought in to run State, keeping Condi as a figurehead.

    I don't know, but interesting.

    And, I agree on Condi's personality not being good for a lead campaigner, but I do think she could do the VP role, travelling the country talking to FRIENDLY audiences that would receive her well.

    And, she scores very high with those Republican audiences.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 9:22 AM  

  • "I read an interesting theory that Negroponte was being brought in to run State, keeping Condi as a figurehead."

    Oh, that's interesting. It makes sense on a practical level, but that alone makes it counter intuitive when one is discussing the Bush admin.

    "Condi ... travelling the country talking to FRIENDLY audiences that would receive her well."

    Hmmm. Maybe. But I'm suspicious how friendly that hard-core base remains when they have to VOTE to put never-married, middle-aged Black woman in power... even as VP. It's similar to my intrigue as to how the hard-core base will really support Romney -- a Mormon -- when it comes down to picking and choosing.

    Maybe I'm not giving the right-wing base enough credit... Maybe they are open and welcoming to new faces and new beliefs. *pffftt* I'm sorry. I can't keep a straight face. *lol*

    By Blogger -epm, at 9:39 AM  

  • I think Bush would still be loyal if he didn't fire her. Look at all the key trips Hadley has been taking. She's not been making the big trips.

    And, I think they would take her as a VP. People vote on the president. And if their choice was Condi VP or Hillary Clinton President.....


    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home