.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Picture of the Day - 2

















(AP) The death of a Texas soldier, announced Sunday by the Pentagon, raised the number of U.S. military deaths in Iraq to at least 3,000 since the war began, according to an Associated Press count.


The 3,000 soldier killed was Spc. Dustin R. Donica, 22, of Spring, Texas, a local boy from Klein High School.

From 2000. He is on the back row, far left. (Bigger if you click it.)

3 Comments:

  • I don't really know what I'm trying to say here. When I saw his name and that he was local I did a web search and this came up. It's about all that came up.

    Maybe it has more meaning for me because Klein is a local rival high school that I remember 20 years later making him more real somehow.

    Maybe it's some snapshot of youth that registered with me.

    I don't know.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 2:53 PM  

  • What registered is that he had a life. A life worth living. A life now wasted. This picture humanizes this name, this story. Just like the 2,999 before his.

    And how many more deaths will it take till we know that too may people have died?

    By Blogger QuakerDave, at 3:40 PM  

  • I think that's it. I think it's because it puts depth on him. He had a life outside the military.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home