.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Monday, October 23, 2006

Haditha is a black hole

Just an observation. Further down this page, I quoted an Azzaman article,
In one the outskirts of Haditha, for example, fighting is reported to be raging between U.S. troops and the rebels who have barricaded themselves inside the city.

They are lying in ambush and waiting for U.S. troops to enter the city, the witnesses said.

I cannot, in fact, solidly confirm that, but looking at the wire photos, there have been just two pictures from Haditha since Sept 25, both seemingly on the outskirts of the city. Both of those were supplied by the military from what looks like one patrol.

It could be nothing, a blind spot in the coverage, but I thought I'd mention it. (Even Ramadi has some pictures coming out from Iraqi photographers.)

There has been so very little news beyond body counts out of Anbar lately, I'm just reaching for something.

Later: I'm feeling less convinced of using this as a conclusive indicator, although many of the Anbar towns share this trait. Doing further searches, the Shia towns seem to have fair coverage. The mixed towns in the central north Baquba/Diyala, Mosul, seem to have some spotty coverage, and Balad has had nothing in a week.

So, I don't know. Take it for what it is.

2 Comments:

  • Sounds like the Iraqis are stepping up and taking control there. Isn't that what Bush wants them to do?

    By Blogger Lew Scannon, at 5:23 AM  

  • Yeah. Last night I read a right winger bemoaning the fact that the Iraqis "aren't willing to fight for their country."

    I didn't really want to start an argument, but I kept thinking, "If they aren't fighting for their country, they sure are killing alot of people."

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home