.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Picture of the Day - 3








In this undated photo released by family, Merideth Howard, 52, of Waukesha, Wis., is shown. Sgt. 1st Class Merideth Howard was killed Friday, Sept. 8, 2006, when a car bomber slammed into a Humvee filled with people in Afghanistan, said her husband, Hugh Hvolboll. Howard joined the Army Reserves in 1988 and went to Afghanistan in April with the 364th Civil Affairs brigade, said Hvolboll. (AP Photo/Family)

5 Comments:

  • I think this is the worst casualty I have yet seen. They are all bad. But, this one really hits me.

    By Blogger Bravo 2-1, at 11:47 AM  

  • Same. I follow the pictures so I see about one photo a day, but this one hit me especially.

    Separate from the emotion, it also got me wondering whet the Afghanis think about the US having 52 year old women in their military.

    Compared to the burqa standard, the idea of of a grandmother being in the military must have some effect on opinion.

    Certainly in the most urban parts of Kabul it's not that big, but the Taliban had support even into the capital.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 1:07 PM  

  • A 52 year old woman. I had to read that twice thinking it was talking about her son being killed at first. I can't hardly believe that. How sad.

    By Blogger Chuck, at 7:23 PM  

  • Yeah. That's why I put it up.

    It's just not the face you imagine.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 9:13 PM  

  • Yes it's sad...and not just because she's an older woman either. Death be not proud...

    By Blogger sumo, at 1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home