.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Petty poll watching.

Time Mag - Bush approval +3 at 38% (no disapproval?)

Newsweek - Bush approval -2 at 36/56.

We can argue whether the president is ticking up or down a point, but reality is that a president eighty days from midterms with an extended period polling under 40% (8 months?) is in a whole lot of trouble. If terror threats don't move the numbers, then .......?

(In the generic congressional races, Time - Dem 51/40, Newsweek 50/38.)

Also, more and more experts are seeing a Dem takeover of the House. Easily at hand, Rothenberg, Charlie Cook, Larry Sabato, Thomas Mann.

Most importantly, the trade associations, lobbyists, PAC's, and business groups are starting to place their business investments (donations) on the Dems.

We're still a long way from the election, and the president has the ability to actually make the news, but it's still notable that the smart money is beginning to flow left.

2 Comments:

  • I think the republicans will cheat the Dems again. I see no end to it. I hate it when people lump all Americans together and say that we voted for the man twice...so we're stupid. I think they cheated the vote in 2000 and 2004 pure and simple...and I think they will continue to do so. But...I hope I'm terribly wrong!

    By Blogger sumo, at 1:55 AM  

  • I agree, but I also believe that if there's a big enough wave they won't cheat. I think it's done in little bits, but I just don't see them changing things nationally.

    BUT, within a congressional race or two, yeah, I could see that. And that might be the difference of majority/minority.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home