.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Sunday snippet

Condi Rice on This Week:
STEPHANOPOULOS: Extremists now appear to have been emboldened. The moderates appear to be in retreat. There is no peace process. There is war. How do you answer administration critics who say that the administration’s actions have unleashed, have helped unleash the very hostilities you hoped to contain?

RICE: Well, first of all, those hostilities were not very well contained as we found out on September 11th, so the notion that policies that finally confront extremism are actually causing extremism, I find grotesque.

Then on CNN just now.
Wolf Blitzer: Let's move on and talk about Iran and it's nuclear ambitions. Does Russia believe that Iran is trying to develop a nuclear bomb?

Sergei Lavrov: We're not in the business of believing. We are in the business of having facts.

I have foreign mininster envy.

(And, while I'm at it, Bill Kristol, if the Fox News host shouts you down, maybe that's a sign you should think about where you are.)

6 Comments:

  • yes.

    By Blogger Cartledge, at 2:14 PM  

  • Well said, Mike. ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:19 PM  

  • Ddi anybody see Novak on MTP? He claimed Valerie Plame's identity had been blown by Aldritch Ames so he was only identifying an already outed agent. Mike, you've been following the Plame case closely - is the Ames claim new or has that been floating around awhile?

    By Blogger Reality-Based Educator, at 2:59 PM  

  • I really miss having a smart president and staff. Clinton/Albright, agree with them or not, they were smart. Bush/Baker, same. I didn't like everything either of those teams did, but at no time did I feel like they were out of touch or out of control.

    I've watched both Putin and Lavrov for a number of years, and while I wouldn't want a president Putin, they are both extremely shrewd operators.

    Reality Based, I watched the clip at crooks and liars.

    http://www.crooksandliars.com/posts/2006/07/16/novak-recants-on-newsday-and-a-whole-bunch-more/

    As far as I know an Ames claim is completely new. At least in the sources I read, but I generally wasn't reading the sites that claimed Plame was already outed. (I preferred Fitzgerald's claim that she wasn't.)

    On a broader level, many other sites are pointing out Novak's revisions contradicting things he previously said. I think this whole disclosure by him is an effort to "cap" the whole affair and make the admin, or at least Rove, look good. So, since I think he's spinning (Lying,) I'm not paying much attention unless he accidentally reveals something.

    (I generally don't actually watch the Sunday shows,most of it's pointless to me, and the good bits are usually clipped out at others sites.)

    Also today, there was Gingrich's WWIII claim.

    http://thinkprogress.org/2006/07/16/newt-world-war/

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 3:57 PM  

  • I also saw the link Rawstory put up to the Seattle Times article where Gingrich says the Preznit and the GOP should tell people we're in the middle of WWIII and use it to scare people into voting for the GOP.

    Frankly, I think that's an easy campaign to counter. You remind people which preznit's failed policies led to the mess the country is in both overseas and here in home. Democrats just need to remind voters just how incompetent (Iraq, Katrina) dishonest (Iraq, CIA leak case) and corrupt (Halliburton, Abramoff, Delay) the administration and the ruling party are and ask voters if they've "Had enough?" yet.

    By Blogger Reality-Based Educator, at 7:55 PM  

  • Yeah. Something along the lines of "Sure he acts tough, but it's his decisions that led to WWIII."

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home