.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

On Heather Wilson's call for an NSA investigation.

Much has been made in the lefty blogworld about Republican Rep. Heather Wilson's call for an investigation into the NSA spying program. This morning I've read praises of her character and explanations that she's doing this to help her reelection in a close district.

Maybe I'm just not that trusting, but I'm not willing to jump on her bandwagon until I really see what she's going to do.

Is it any coincidence that the day when the press was filled with criticism of Gonzales's testimony, she comes forward? If I were a WhiteHouse operative, I would have been looking for a friendly, malleable House member in desperate need of campaign funding and support to conduct an "investigation" in the House.

Maybe better said, after watching Arlen Specter give the Senate inquiry a bipartisan tone, maybe I would look for somebody I could leverage to step forward to run the House "investigation." Her payoff is that she gets to come forward to her electorate as an "honest politician" in a close district.

Maybe I'm too cynical, maybe she's genuine, but I'm not ready to sing her praises just yet. I think I see the shadowy hand of Karl Rove in this.

1 Comments:

  • It just seems that the Bush admin has tried to conduct every investigation in house, 9-11, Iraq intel, Katrina. So when forced to hold "outside investigations, chairman and committee shopping would just seem par for the course.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home