.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Plame Gossip

Interesting speculation from the WSJ(this is not WSJ sourced because their stories require paid subscription. From ABCnews, the note.)

While the Woodward disclosure may muddy the Libby prosecution, the Wall Street Journal's Squeo and McKinnon report that the White House must now "brace itself" for the possibility that Fitzgerald's probe, "far from winding down, may have just gotten a second wind."

Prosecutors deposed Woodward in anticipation of presenting that evidence to a new grand jury, according to a person familiar with the situation. And that is exclusive new news, courtesy of Dow Jones.

The Journal also floats the possibility that the Woodward and Novak source is the same person.


Okay, just a speculative question. If this is true that Fitzgerald is preparing to present info to a new grand jury, wouldn't you say that that means he is going to look for further indictments? As a prosecutor would you go through all the trouble of resubmitting all the evidence to a new grand jury if you weren't intending to indict somebody? I sure wouldn't.

UPDATE: Big news, of a sort. A White House official said that Hadley is not Woodward's source either. That narrows it down again. Maybe Cheney is back in play, I don't know. The list of possibles, with the big assumption that all the denials are true, is quickly narrowing. Cheney, Karen Hughes, Condi Rice, Fleitz? The candidate who is known to have had Plame's name early is Cheney, but do you send him out to do the hatchett job last night if that's the case? I don't know, for some reason, I just don't believe it's Cheney even though the known facts fit, and his office is the only one offering the "ongoing investigation" answer to the question.

Now, that would be a bombshell.

From Larry King Oct. 27.

"ISIKOFF: I talked to a source at the White House late this afternoon who told me that Bob is going to have a bombshell in tomorrow's paper identifying the Mr. X source who is behind the whole thing. So, I don't know, maybe this is Bob's opportunity.

"KING: Come clean.

"WOODWARD: I wish I did have a bombshell. I don't even have a firecracker. I'm sorry. In fact, I mean this tells you something about the atmosphere here. I got a call from somebody in the CIA saying he got a call from the best 'New York Times' reporter on this saying exactly that I supposedly had a bombshell. . . .

"Finally, this went around that I was going to do it tonight or in the paper. Finally, Len Downie, who is the editor of the 'Washington Post' called me and said, 'I hear you have a bombshell. Would you let me in on it.' (LIAR)

UPDATE: Now a person familiar with the investigation has said that it isn't Cheney. So, our list is getting smaller. I'll try to put up a new candidate list today(Fri).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home