.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Maybe there's a disclaim torture playbook.

The first quotes are from Iraqi government denials about the recent finding of 170 malnourished and tortured Sunnis. The second, well......

"These are the most criminal terrorists who were in these cells," Jabr said.

Cheney on This Week from Whitehouse.gov website. (2002) These are bad people. I mean, they've already been screened before they get to Guantanamo. They may will have information about future terrorist attacks against the United States. We need that information, we need to be able to interrogate them and extract from them whatever information they have.

He said that an investigation was underway into the torture allegations,

At a press briefing from whitehouse.gov website (2004) MR. McCLELLAN: Well, first of all, John, there is an investigation underway. We do know that there were a few individuals involved in some appalling and despicable acts in the way prisoners were treated. And it's important that people be held accountable.

"I reject torture and I will punish those who perform torture,"

Presidential Press conference(2004) Let me make very clear the position of my government and our country. We do not condone torture. I have never ordered torture. I will never order torture.

Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari promised a full investigation and punishment for anyone guilty of torture.

President's statement(2004) I have directed a full accounting for the abuse of the Abu Ghraib detainees, and investigations are underway to review detention operations in Iraq and elsewhere.

There must be a playbook. I did this in about ten minutes, so I'll bet you could find more accurate matches if you took a little time. The only thing missing is the "few bad apples" line, but if you'll remember, that didn't come into the American spin until months into the denials.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home