.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Friday, May 07, 2010

Three points make a line?

The bad loan/financial crisis, the West Virginia Mine Disaster, and the BP oil spill all share the commonality that they occurred, in part, because the Bush administration "relaxed" regulations on industry either through rule changes or by gutting regulatory agencies and cutting budgets.

These incidents all took place in an intentional environment, and, I'm sure if we really dug, we could find many more smaller instances and near misses.

How much economic growth have we really enjoyed from "getting the bureaucrats out of business?" How much has it cost us so far? And what on earth do we have to look forward to in the future?

And where's the voice in the media saying that?

4 Comments:

  • Here's the thing, though. If people feel their 401k/IRA is making money, if people feel they're getting cheap coal-fired electricity, if people feel gasoline is cheap/affordable.... they just won't care.

    As a nation, I don't think we have a higher vision beyond profit and consumption. And maybe global jingoism....

    By Blogger -epm, at 1:45 PM  

  • I somewhat disagree. I think it has to do with "what happens to me." Profits only matter if I'm convinced they will help my 401K or general job status, BUT, if I feel at risk of terrorism, tainted food, or shark attack, that could take precedence depending on which is sold scarier.

    I think it's about a very selfish calculation.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 9:35 PM  

  • I think we're saying the same thing. Americans are motivated by greed and fear. There is no ethical hurdle that cannot be surmounted by selfish calculation.

    By Blogger -epm, at 10:49 AM  

  • Broadly yes. This Baby Boom dominated culture, yes.

    However, it has to do with how each choice is sold to them.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home