.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Monday, November 02, 2009

Who the hell is watching commercials on their DVR?

A kind of interesting NYTimes article on how Nielson monitoring DVR viewing is actually helping TV ratings. Two points.

1) 48% of DVR viewers don't fast forward through commercials. (I mean, thanks folks for helping subsidize my TV, but what the hell is wrong with you?)

2) This new monitoring scheme is also a huge boost to the ratings of my male 18-49 targeted shows, meaning Heroes and Fringe see their numbers up over 20% which will likely keep them on the air. (Too late for Defying Gravity, though.)

So, keep watching the commercials on your DVR's, you idiots. It's working for me.

1 Comments:

  • I, too, found this article enlightening. Who knew that the DVR part of your personal life was being monitored, especially to see what commercials you were watching. This wasn't Neilsen info, right? Simply the cable companies reading out what you were doing with their computerized hookup?
    And I agree that it is baffling that people don't know how to fast-forward through commercials. Somehow the image of passive pigs feeding at whatever the trough gives them is the image I get.
    MC
    MC

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home