.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Stray thought

As new DHS head Napolitano complains that previous anti-terror exercises were "too expensive, too long in planning and “too removed from a real-world scenario,” I find myself wondering if crazy internal DHS exercises with "supervillain terrorists" and unrealistic 4G bioweapons acted as something of an internal propaganda.

I mean, if all the tests were designed past the worst case, and the results were repeated fails, would that lead to an irrational assessment and climate of fear among decision makers?

3 Comments:

  • It could be (have been) internal propaganda, but it also could be just the classic "make shit up 'cause I know in my gut it's true" mode of thinking that prevails in much of the right wing and became emblematic of all decision-making in the Bush administration. So was it propaganda or chicken-hawk paranoia?

    To a Winger, "I believe in my heart" is equivalent to "I know for a fact."

    By Blogger -epm, at 9:29 AM  

  • Definitely.

    But I was wondering about the effects when the results from these exercises hit desks.

    The people receiving the reports aren't being given the framework that the exercises are using bioweapons tech only held by the US government, but the results, millions dead, they are seeing.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 11:03 AM  

  • Hire a bunch of people, put them in an office and they will come up with a report.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home