.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Monday, April 14, 2008

Picture of the Day


















So, now I'm supposed to believe that Hillary Clinton, of all people, is the shot drinking, gun loving, church going candidate?

The Obama campaign is trying to turn this overextension back onto Clinton and her credibility. (AP/FirstRead/CNN/video)
"Hillary Clinton is out there like she's on the duck blind every Sunday. She's packing a six-shooter. Come on, she knows better. That's some politics being played by Hillary Clinton."


Reporters, too: (CNN) "After a weekend spent making direct appeals to gun owners and church goers, Hillary Clinton said Sunday a query about the last time she fired a gun or attended church services "is not a relevant question in this debateā€...."

From what should have been a clean winning issue, the Clinton camp may have campaigned itself, at least partially, into an evaluation on her credibility. Unbelievable.

Later: (Politico) "Senator Obama's campaign says he plans to use a speech before the American Society of Newspaper Editors to turn the tables on the question of who is most in touch with the American people." (Targeting mostly McCain.)

6 Comments:

  • Why is it that the only one's shocked and upset about Obama's comments are Hillary and the Republicans. And only then when you do the beltway bop and twist his meaning and say "San Francisco" with dripping disdain? If it weren't for the info-tainers that now pass as "journalists" and "reporters" this wouldn't even make into the news at this point.

    I have yet to hear a single Democratic primary voter voice a single concern over this. Just Hillary, the Republicans and the "news" people.

    By Blogger -epm, at 12:25 PM  

  • Josh Marshall has a pretty funny observation that all of the people screaming about this are New York and Washington pundits who are probably further from the middle class than Obama Clinton or McCain.

    I always remember in 2006 when Chris Matthews kept talking about how the guy remodeling his house was his connection to that group of voters.

    And, I've seen a few negative clips in some articles, but no idea if they're representative. If you write the "controversy" article, you have to find somebody to make that quote.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 2:31 PM  

  • I've heard some surrogates for Clinton (Paul Begalla, for one) pimp the line, and I'll tell ya, it's infuriating to see such disingenuous, dishonest attack on Obama. Sure, I'm on the Obama band wagon, but really... This is the last straw for me. (as if I needed another straw).

    Anyone how votes for Hillary because she stands for something or has some sort of integrity is in for a rude awakening. As I said before, if she's the nominee I'll vote for her for only one reason: Supreme Court nominees. While I have no faith, I have hope she won't screw that up.

    I'm really, really upset about this. Hillary is the freaking best things the Republicans have going for them. I'm so sick to freaking death with The Clintons, I could puke.

    By Blogger -epm, at 3:07 PM  

  • That's one of the core problems with this Clinton attack. It's not like she comes in with huge credibility.

    To me, this whole thing is kinda fluff. I've been talking about the campaign back and forth, but not so much the merits (because there are none.)

    I also think it's funny that the Obama portrayal has gone from crazy black radical to ivy league elitist in about two weeks.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 3:35 PM  

  • Don't forget the swing from Muslim Manchurian candidate to fringe Christian. The Clintons are all over the place in their attacks. The only consistent theme has been the undercurrent of fear-race baiting... the uppity black who isn't "ready."

    I've calmed down some, but one thing that really gives me the red ass, is when one person's words are twisted by another, then thrown back at them with the accusation of "how dare you say what I claim you said!"

    By Blogger -epm, at 7:07 PM  

  • I forgot about the Muslim picture.

    The weird thing about this is that the back and forth has now gotten a media life of it's own.

    It's now this amorphous allegation against him, not really tied to what he said.

    But, it doesn't appear to be a big difference maker. The numbers are still the numbers, and the polls don't seem hugely affected.

    He's probably lost any chance at a ramping close in Pa, but this alone is not creating a blowout.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home