.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Is an Iraqi "grand bargain" in the offing?

This time it's the British who are engaging in "secret talks" to try to peel away the Iraqi Sunni insurgent groups from Al Qaeda in Iraq.

But what caught my eye in this article is that Kurdish President Jalal Talabani is the one brokering the talks, the same Jalal Talabani who is arriving in the US Sunday for medical treatment at the Mayo Clinic.

Now, Talabani had a very serious medical problem just a few months ago, so I don't greet his medical visit with the same skepticism as Shiite leader al Hakim's, but, it should be noted that the interests of Iraqi Sunni groups, the Kurds, and the largest government supporting Shia group are all in the US this weekend for "medical treatments".

Some coincidence, eh?

7 Comments:

  • It's all about who controls the Kirkuk oilfields. The US wants the Sunnis to turn on Al Quaida. The Sunnis want the Kurds back in their box.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:36 AM  

  • I agree that that's the major component/pivot point on oil, but I also think that influence within the government is another major blocking point from the Sunni side.

    If they don't get some sort of guarantee of influence or fairness, the Sunnis in Iraq will be ghettoized forever getting poorer healthcare, education, a smaller slice of the government pie, etc.

    But, yeah, Kirkuk is an immediate stop point.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 1:51 PM  

  • Something is going on. NATO commander meeting in Crawford, the sudden medical problems of Iraqi politicians... I smell gunpowder.

    By Blogger -epm, at 7:49 PM  

  • That's my feeling.

    I think the pressure has gotten to George and he's desperately trying to work something out.

    Here's hoping he can find some sort of political settlement, not that I'm hopeful....

    (And, I wonder if NATO could possibly fall into this. They're not even able to meet their compliment in Afghanistan because of domestic pressure. I can't imagine that they could muster ANYTHING for the even less popular Iraq.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 9:13 PM  

  • I'm wondering if NATO or anyone can stop Bush. All kidding aside, I now believe Bush is mentally unfit. And he's surrounded by yes-men and Republicans in congress that simply won't DO anything about, beyond wringing their hands.

    If Bush strikes at Iran, I think there could be chaos here at home.

    By Blogger -epm, at 12:14 AM  

  • First, I swing back and forth between the four poles, he's really wrong, he's really evil, he's really stupid, he's really crazy. I'm never quite sure which is the dominant flaw.

    And, perhaps I'm cynical, but I wonder if Americans will get off their couches (or from behind their computers) for justa bout anything anymore.

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 7:09 AM  

  • It's a potpourri of them all. He's a a nasty (evil?) egomaniac who is willfully ignorant (stupid) of the facts and therefore firmly, but erroneously, believes some of the things he says, and simply lies about other things because of his sociopathic personality disorder.

    By Blogger -epm, at 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home