.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Spinning a weak position into silk

The Bush administration announced today that it will begin running wiretaps through the FISA court. Hooray! That's all we ever wanted, but I'm fascinated by the political play here.

The administration is laying this out as if it is their idea, when in reality, it resulted because they're looking straight down the barrel of an investigation of this likely illegal program.
The letter from Mr. Gonzales came a day before he is to appear before the Senate Judiciary Committee, some of whose members have been hostile to the administration’s arguments in favor of the program.

(I can't wait for someone to dig out all the administration quotes from last year detailing how this was the wrong way to go.)

4 Comments:

  • So the same attorney general who said judges are incapable of judging when national security is on the line, is now recommending judges should judge national security intelligence gathering...

    Go figure.

    on a completely different track... I hope you're happy. Since I started following your blog I gave up political blogging on my own! Keep up the good work... I always find interesting links and observations here on the Crest of the Empire.

    By Blogger -epm, at 3:26 PM  

  • Yeah, I'm just dying witing for one of the big blogs who like to actually do the digging to pull up all the quotes from last year as to why this was such a horrible idea and how it would help terrorists.

    And, Thank you, I guess. I'd hate to think I was responsible.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 5:08 PM  

  • I just enjoy the "dialog" here more then writing up my own largely unread posts.

    By Blogger -epm, at 6:38 PM  

  • I very briefly tried to go big time about a year ago in the middle of the Fitzgerald investigation, the place got really busy, but as I drifted into the arcania of Iraq, most people have drifted away.

    Most people seem to want ranting and raving Bush bashing, and I certainly do some of that, but that's not really why I write this.

    I came to a point many months ago where I realized, I simply like the process. Forcing the whole thing out in a semicoherent form really helps my understanding, and I realized that's what I enjoy about this.

    Frankly, I'd really like more intelligent commenters like yourself because that discussion does help that process, but, I realized I'm not really willing to do the work to make this place hugely busy.

    I'm just going to do what I enjoy even with the diminished traffic.

    (It also makes me much more grateful for the people who take the time to comment. Thanks.)

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home