.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Iraq

(CNN) Wow. Michael Ware/Anderson Cooper show an insurgent video showing Iraqi sniper attacks on US soldiers. (The video is down on the left.)

(FT) The US is now encouraging an amnesty for Sunni insurgents? It's the right move, but after all the bad US politics around the last amnesty discussion, I'm surprised they took this up now.

WaPo describes the splintering of Sadr's militias. If there's one lesson we've learned about this Iraq, it's that preaching politics rather than blood is the surest way into irrelevancy.

(IRIN) Even the good news is fading. School attendance rates drop drastically from 75% last year to 30% this year. (IRIN is Iran's state news.)

(WashTimes) US building "massive" airbase in Kurdish Arbil.

(AP) The marines are peparing plans to recall reserve divisions that have already served one tour.

(AP) The soldiers accused of killing in Hamdaniyah and rape/killing in Mahmoudiya have been moved forward to courts martial.

(Air Force Times) Bush says he may ignore new war-funding law by keeping Iraq Afghanistan funding outside the defense bill.

4 Comments:

  • I posted (yesterday) the story about the four accused of rape and murder.

    I was admonished by a right winger who visits my blog (solidlogic.blogspot.com)
    for trying to make the military look bad, and why would I print such garbage.

    I mean, disagree with me if you want to but to say that story should not even be printed!

    That's the same kind of thinking that makes me so against the current Republican leadership.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:51 PM  

  • Sorry that address is:

    vpcheney.blogspot.com

    He calls his site Solid Logic

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:35 PM  

  • No, I agree with you. It should be printed.

    Frankly, I hate to even post about it, but it is a part of the reality, so it has to go in the coverage.

    I try to present them just as an update of fact. There are bad acts committed in Iraq, many that aren't represented in these trials or other reporting, but at the same time, I don't want to paint it as everbody. They should be prosecuted to full extent, and frankly, getting that out is important for the war effort, but I understand the other consideration. I find it a very tough line.

    The only one of these stories that I got really aggressive about is the rape apparently committed by Stephen Green et al, because that act led directly to the capture, torture and beheading of Pfc's Tucker and Menchaca in Mahmoudiyah.

    Two members of his platoon suffered two of the most gruesome deaths in Iraq because of his actions.

    That deserves a special condemnation.

    (And, I hope you'll forgive me, but I really don't want to step into your argument on this.)

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 5:42 PM  

  • No, I wasn't looking for anyone to step into the argument, but felt I should identify who it was.

    I have a real problem with trying to blot out these kind of stories to protect...what?

    The mind-set that would want to hide these facts from the public is a basic flaw that Republicans strive to encourage at every step.

    Bloody images ARE the truth of war.

    War is hell, and it should be reported at every step, and in all its horrible details.

    In fact your site does that better than any other site I've visited, with class. Keep it up.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home