.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Monday, September 25, 2006

The devil is in the house of worship and she's wearing a GOP button

Buried down in this NYTimes article on evangelicals waning enthusiasm for the Republicans is this gem.
Even in this crowd of nearly 2,000 Christian conservative activists, some balked at one tactic recommended to turn out church voters. In a workshop, Connie Marshner, a veteran organizer, distributed a step-by-step guide that recommended obtaining church directories and posing as a nonpartisan pollster to ask people how they planned to vote.

“Hello, I am with ABC polls,” a suggested script began.

Some attendees complained that the script seemed deceptive, Ms. Marshner said in an interview afterward. She said that such disguised calls were a common campaign tactic, that it was just a suggested script and that she never recommended answering a direct question with a lie.

5 Comments:

  • This is more than evil..it's creepy evil.

    By Blogger Lew Scannon, at 5:08 PM  

  • Mike, This is a gem. With my busy schedule, your blog is the one I still visit every day. Thanks for staying on top of it.

    By Blogger Faustus and FrankenKitty, at 5:34 PM  

  • Lew, It really tells me just how desperate they are. in 2004, they didn't have to tell church people to lie.

    And, Charles thanks. I needed to hear that.

    I've been getting fewer comments lately and have been wondering if I'm putting people off somehow. Links and other intangibles, comments from people I know, emails, tells me people are still coming by, but I've been a little disheartened by the drop in comments.

    That's my favorite part of this process. That's how I come to alot of new ideas.

    I put time into this thing, and it's just nice to know there are invisible people out there.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 5:40 PM  

  • "Thou shalt not bear false witness."

    Or something like that...

    By Blogger QuakerDave, at 6:43 PM  

  • Yup.

    It underlines the abuse of these people's faith for political gain.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home