.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Kurdish Peshmerga in Kirkuk/Preparing for Open Civil War

One of the major disagreements in the formation of a new Iraqi government has been what exactly constitutes a militia and what actions to take regarding them. The new Prime Minister Al Miliki has recently been making noises about disbanding the Kurdish Peshmerga, a militia force that has existed in its current form back into the early 90's.
"I'm confident that the militias, and there are more than 11 militias, must be disarmed," al-Maliki said. "There's no difference between one militia and others."

But the current Kurdish president of Iraq is attempting to hang on to their 70,000 strong fighting force.
Even the country's Kurdish president appears unwilling to lay down arms. Jalal Talabani, speaking yesterday to reporters in Erbil, defended the 70,000-strong Kurdish peshmerga militia as a "regulated force."

But, this is not some esoteric discussion, it is a significant dispute which may have serious ramifications going forward. During Saddam's rule, 300,000 Kurds were forced out of Kirkuk to the north while Arabs from elsewhere in the country were brought in to resettle the city in an effort to pacify it.

With the Iraqi Constitution calling for a referendum on Kurdish independence before the end of 2007, the clock is ticking on establishing the dispensation of Kirkuk. So, when I see reports like this, I begin to see the geographical boundaries of the coming civil war.
KIRKUK, Iraq - Hundreds of Shiite Muslim militiamen have deployed in recent weeks to this restive city -- widely considered the most likely flash point for an Iraqi civil war -- vowing to fight any attempt to shift control over Kirkuk to the Kurdish-governed north, according to U.S. commanders and diplomats, local police and politicians.....

The Mahdi Army, led by firebrand cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, has sent at least two companies, each with about 120 fighters, according to Thomas Wise, political counselor for the U.S. Embassy's Kirkuk regional office, which has been tracking militia activity. The Badr Organization, the armed wing of Iraq's largest Shiite political party, has also boosted its presence and opened several offices across the region, military officers here said.

Oh, and did I mention that Kirkuk is the center of one of Iraq's richest oil regions?

Possession of Kirkuk would be the key to the Kurd's survival as an independent entity, allowing them wealth, stability and security in their support of the rebel Kurdish movements in southern Turkey and northern Iran.

But in order to possess Kirkuk, the Kurds will have to first establish indisputable control, and it sounds like the Shia are not yet willing to reliquish it.

Many pro-Bush US commentators have made the point that Iraq is not yet in civil war because there has not been open street fighting. But as I've written before, because of the ethnically integrated nature of Iraq during Saddam's reign, the Iraq civil war would have to proceed in stages.

Much like the war in former Yugoslavia, there has to be a period of ethnic cleansing, a forcible expurgation as we are seeing in the death squads and refugees, that would establish the ethnic boundaries of the various factions. Only then, would the various factions begin their battles for border terriroties.

As this story, and the recent events in Adhamiyah, indicate, we are growing closer to that open territorial warfare that characterizes traditional civil wars.

(Question: I have been doing more "thought pieces" lately like this post and the next one and am looking for feedback. Is this a good thing? Would you prefer shorter posts with more article links? Do you come by here looking for Mike's opinion, or as a starting point for your own reading? Or is it just all about the pictures, so who cares what I write. Just trying to get some kind of idea about all this.)

UPDATE: As I was wandering around the blogworld I came across this article link over at Carbon Paper pointing out that the Iranians and Turks are preparing for further Kurdish activity by building up troops along their borders.

12 Comments:

  • Generally, I perfer smaller, concise, digestible chunks. But I also appreciate the added meat of a longer piece.

    How about writing a short thumbnail synopsis as a lead-in, then having a "read more below" breaking point. DailyKos does this sometimes.

    By Blogger -epm, at 10:15 AM  

  • I've tried that, but I can't figure out how to have a "there's more" section only on some of the posts. It shows up on them all.

    Thanks for the response. That's my general impression and why I asked.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 10:38 AM  

  • Rehashing key news bites is helpful, but I for one appreciate hearing opinions from you and other bloggers.
    Poking a stick my show where you stand, the why is equally important.
    Anyway, I think you have been mixing the styles quite well of late.

    By Blogger Cartledge, at 10:39 AM  

  • Yeah, but at the same time, there is the possibility of writing these long rambling pieces I find insightful that just bore everyone else.

    My goal is to provoke thought and conversation and I can do it either through heavy punching posts like this or the smaller counter punching article link and comment.

    I guess, what I'm asking is how do you want to be punched?

    Thanks for the response.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 11:00 AM  

  • Come on Mike, Easter has passed. Personally I'm impressed with your longer pieces, but either way you don't need to nail yourself up over it. Like you said recently (I think) it is as much for the pleasure of doing it than any other motivation.

    By Blogger Cartledge, at 1:18 PM  

  • I can read news articles myself.

    I agree that 1) do what pleases you (it's your blog), 2) put "you" in it. Otherwise I can just read the paper.

    By Blogger Greyhair, at 1:45 PM  

  • I've often figured on Kirkuk being ground zero in a future civil war--particularly if a three state solution is the goal or the unintended result.

    By Blogger JUSIPER, at 1:59 PM  

  • Again, thanks for the responses.

    I just fear going of into weird little technical areas that are only of interest to me, and that's even worse when the posts are ten pages long.

    So every once in awhile I ask these little insecure questions to make sure I'm not way off base in my construction.

    And, Sini,

    That appears to be the way it's shaping up with the primary territorial battles being the Kurds/Shia in and around Kirkuk, and the Sunni/Shia in and around the south and west of Baghdad. Those lines will probably shift with time once the battles truly get underway, but those seem to be the two main friction points between the factions right now.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 2:11 PM  

  • I'm so close! If the Kurds seal their border in the next 30 days, I'm going to do another "Kvatch Kalled It" post.

    Thanks for the head's up.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:21 PM  

  • I think that may be soon unless there's some major movement from somewhere either an massive escalation in attacks on Kurds or a complete abandonment of the government process because I think that movement would require running directly and openly afoul of the US, and thus far, the Kurds have used the US as their leverage.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 4:31 PM  

  • Peace to you and yours Mike Votes. Thanks for coming by and the mention.

    You write well and keep the new approach up.
    Peace.

    By Blogger Human, at 7:29 PM  

  • Mike,

    You are really doing a great job. I enjoy reading both types. You are good at catching things in the news early, which is great, but as was mentioned, the personal touch that each of us (I mean all bloggers) has in our own blogs is what seperates each of us from everyone else.

    If a post is too long, people will just skip over it if they don't have the time. Personally, I like to read things that are well thought out, like the piece on Rove.

    So keep doing the bread and butter, but don't be afraid of doing longer pieces now and then. Your readers will appreciate the time you spent thinking about them.

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home