.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Who is telling this story?

I can't figure out who is telling this story on the Senate Intel Committee's backdown on investigating the warrantless wiretapping. It makes Olympia Snowe look better than anything else I've read about her waffling on this, so it may be her office putting it out but for some reason, I don't think so. She's never been one for close in fighting.

I really can't tell, but the source knows a whole lot that took place on the Senate side, but doesn't name names or cite specific events on the House side, so it's from somebody trying to land a few blows on or for one of the four Senators named, Snowe, Roberts, Hagel, or DeWine and the White House.

Just interesting, this is a very public play by somebody. If I'm guessing, it's Hagel's staff. All the facts would be known to them, and he has publicly blasted Roberts before. If so, it's not a very subtle effort to point out Roberts' kneepads for the Whitehouse, and the administration's desperation to avoid an investigation at all costs.

I'll be really curious to watch the movement over the next couple of days on this to see who is really playing this game in the WaPo. I'll be looking for something public back at Hagel, probably from a White House surrogate. If you see it, let me know.

(By the way, the administration's desperation to avoid any sort of investigation tells me that they went way over the line on this one and their exposure must be significant. If you're on the Intel committee and you want a bridge named after you, now is the time.)

2 Comments:

  • Let’s see, how about the Hagel Memorial Bridge in Omaha Nebraska.

    No seriously, I would suspect Hagel as well. He has been critical of administration policy and is positioning himself for a presidential run. If it is Hagel it could be a risky political move against the power brokers in his party.

    By Blogger MadMustard, at 10:47 PM  

  • That risk is exactly why I'm not sure. I he is gonna make a run, this is incredibly stupid, unless of course,

    AHA. Story comes out that McCain gets the Bush mailing list, by nightfall, the WAPO has an insider account of how sleazy the Bush admin is being on all this. It is Hagel. Thanks for the assist.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home