.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Monday, February 06, 2006

Picture of the day - 3 (Reprint)

It's not about a cartoon.

It's about a feeling that their religion, their interests, and their entire way of life are under threat from the West.

It's about the Iraq war, a feeling of powerlessness, and the same perceptions that lead Muslims into Al Qaeda.

So, don't paint me this simple storyline of irrational Arabs torching buildings because they didn't like a cartoon, Mr. Newsman.

Their rage is real and it is rooted in something much bigger, something far more burdensome to criticize in our "patriotic" society. They are reacting against a century of Western interference in their society, maintaining convenient despots and toppling unfriendly governments.

We, as a society, have no hope to end terrorism until we recognize this anger and deal with it.

In this decade of growing anti-Western sentiment, we are possibly witnessing a key turning point in the Great American Empire. If we attempt to respond to this growing disquiet with the brutal application of force, as so many other empires have in the past, we will fail and default our treasury as they did. This is why Iraq was/is such a major failure to the long term future of our country and its greater world interests.

The Iraq War created more "terrorists" than there were before.

Its failure can be stated no more clearly than that.

4 Comments:

  • I agree. This is very well put. Unfortunately I don't think those in power have the intellect to understand this point. I am sure Bush can't comprehend these facts. He is too busy playing cowboys and Muslims.

    By Blogger left-over, at 10:45 PM  

  • Agreed, I don't think they particularly care. I just posted about the Pentagon 'plan' and the next twenty years look to be more of the same... good thoughts, Mike. We also need the goodwill of people we have alienated, and how do those bridges get repaired?

    By Blogger Lily, at 8:07 AM  

  • I don't know... I feel very little sympathy for the rioters. They obviously had no problem with the incredibly anti-American and anti-Semitic cartoons found all over Arab and Muslim newspapers.

    I don't see thousands of Jews burning down the Saudi Arabian embassy in New York...

    Tolerance is a two-way street. I support free speech far more than I support the Middle East's call to behead newspaper cartoonists.

    'Course, I'm biased because I majored in journalism. :D

    By Blogger Ryan, at 12:00 PM  

  • No, If I came across as supporting the rioters that was not my intended point.

    The point I was after is that, much like terrorism, we are being fed a simplistic storyline that doesn't take into account the real existence of this antiwestern rage.

    And that is a dangerous presentation because no matter how many bombs we drop or ho many people we kill, if we don't address the sources of this rage, terrorism will only get worse.

    So my argument was intended to point out that these simplistic narratives are keeping us from dealing with the root causes of terrorism, and increasing the cultural ignorance that makes it easier to devalue the humanity of the Muslim world. Thus, making future bombings easier, thus engendering more terror.

    Sorry if it wasn't clear.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home