.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Is the state of the union a waste of time?

Just a quick thought here.... I figure between practice speeches and discussing the language and topics and whatnot, the president of the United States probably spends more than a workday prepping for the State of the Union speech.

Isn't there a better use for that time?

(I also feel the same way about fundraising events and reelection bids. I mean what if Bush had spent 2004 working on Iraq rather than spinning Iraq for the campaign?)

4 Comments:

  • You are so right Mike.

    He should spend more of his time trying to exerpt his executive privilige over our uteri, spying on Americans, collecting money from lobbyists and pushing domestic and foreign policies that kill average people and make money for him and his cronies.

    By Blogger cookie christine, at 12:48 PM  

  • I know, I thought about that as I was writing this. Maybe I don't want him spending more time working on "his agenda."

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 2:03 PM  

  • Since the SotU is basically window dressing, I'd say yes. I'd rather have a substantive policy speech...or a series of 'em--Something chewy to support or oppose, but unfortunately, Bush never gives speeches like that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:26 PM  

  • Yeah, this is generally a rollout for new initiatives, but historically, it's more about positioning, most of the Sotu propositions tend to fall flat.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home