.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Monday, December 05, 2005

Dear British readers, British gov't breaking law?

I know the Guardian's politics, so I take this with a grain of salt, but is this true?

The British government is guilty of breaking international law if it allowed secret CIA "rendition" flights of terror suspects to land at UK airports, according to a report by American legal scholars.

Merely giving permission for the flights to refuel while en route to the Middle East to collect a prisoner would constitute a breach of the law, according to the opinion commissioned by an all-party group of MPs, which meets in parliament for the first time today.


(By the way, I also find it funny that this story got listed below the Benitez to Real Madrid piece. And what's it gonna take for Souness to lose his job?)

2 Comments:

  • Regardless of leanings I find the Guardian reliable for the most part, at the very least as a guide to stories. This will be worth following up in hansard later in the week. Should be a lot of the proverbial flying around Europe.

    By Blogger Cartledge, at 12:01 AM  

  • Oh, I didn't mean to challenge the Guardian. I agree that it's generally very reliable, but on a story like this one, I would bet you could find lawyers willing to speak on either side. What I was trying to say is that this is one interpretation of the law,(one that I think I agree with) it just didn't come out that way.

    Mike

    By Blogger mikevotes, at 5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home