.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Born at the Crest of the Empire

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

I take it back.

Right: Picture of the Levee break on Pontchartrain.

Below: Thirty miles along the coast up to a half mile to a mile in, looks like this.






After watching just 20 minutes of the MSNBC Olberman coverage of the Hurricane, I take back the last post. I was trying to draw out some of the sense of loss that the ordinary Iraqis must feel as so many civilians die. And although that parallel still holds to some degree in relation to casualties, the material damage just from the Gulfport/Biloxi area is beyond description, and the levees have broken in New Orleans and the water is rising.


MSNBC showed a film from a helicopter crew that flew seventeen miles down the coast to Biloxi from the west, and everything up to a half mile inland was destroyed.

I had no idea from the early reporting that the impact was so severe. I wish all the people affected my best. The damage from this thing is truly beyond my grasp.

Mike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home